Artichoke, yum
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (21)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Temperate artichoke growers, whaddya think?
Comments (18)T-bird, it's Eliot's vernalization trick that i was referring to, i've tried but never perfected it, apparently, so i thought i might just try to make the plants live two years. Karen, I'm going to wait a bit, cuz it's still pretty hot here, and i don't think anything thistle-y like having it's roots disturbed, it may be cooler where you are. Then I'll keep them outside in the pots and keep watering them til it frosts, i think. My plants in the garden are embarrassingly small, maybe already going dormant...there are some that would fit in a quart pot, only a couple that are gallon-sized, and thanks to the nice pics and descriptions, i think those are the cardoons...wow, those are some scary lookin thorns!!! I might try digging the roots of the ones I don't pot up as well...why not? Good to know tho, denninmi, that if the garage freezes they'll survive. I did Belgian endive down there one year, they did fine. Kinda exciting, my 28 y.o. vegetarian daughter is a big "fartichoke" (ok, so maybe she's not reeeal mature)fan, despite the flatulent aftermath. I had cardoon the first time at, of all places, Bonefish Grill, b'leve it or not, in a salad, yum! I gotta go order some seeds...thanks for all the input!!!...See MoreArtichokes.
Comments (22)My family is the same as Sue - I've never had them any other way that beats the breadcrumb/olive oil/garlic stuffed. I don't measure anything, I just eyeball how much I need depending on the number of artichokes. My mother always uses Progresso Italian style breadcrumbs, throw in some grated cheese, fresh snipped parsley, and minced fresh garlic. Add olive oil and maybe a little warm water to moisten if you don't want to go heavy on the oil. Then cut the spikey tips off the leaves, use your fingers to "open" up the artichoke a little to make space between the leaves, and cram in the stuffing to whatever level you like - you can be heavy handed or only use a little. Then she'd put a few inches of water in a pot - enough to come an inch or so up the sides of the artichokes, puts a splash of olive oil in the water along with some salt and a good amount of chopped fresh garlic, covers them, and simmers them until they're done. Lisa...See MoreGood Morning!
Comments (7)elery is also making artichoke and spinach dip, he loves the stuff. This is the recipe he uses, but I think they are all pretty similar. This recipe makes quite a lot. Artichoke Spinach Dip 1/4 cup butter 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, partially thawed 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened 2 (16 ounce) containers sour cream 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese garlic salt to taste Directions: 1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the spinach and artichoke hearts. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. 2. Mix cream cheese and sour cream into the spinach mixture. Stir in Parmesan cheese and garlic salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm Date bars, oh yum, I love 'em. I've had this recipe nearly forever. Classic Date Bars 2-1/2 cups pitted dates, cut up 1/4 cup sugar 1-1/2 cups water 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, optional 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats 1 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 cup butter, softened 1 tablespoon water In a saucepan, combine dates, sugar and water. Cook, stirring frequently, until very thick. Stir in walnuts; cool. Sift the flour, salt and baking soda together in a large bowl; add oats and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle water over mixture; stir lightly. Pat half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spread with date mixture; cover with remaining oat mixture and pat lightly. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 40 bars. Annie...See MoreOver wintering my artichoke
Comments (13)@John, I would need a machine gun on motion sensor where I live. I do have a fenced garden, but I did not think they would eat the artichokes (and they didn't all summer, but now they are getting to the crazed winter behavior.) Hopefully they will grow back in the Spring if they survive the winter.... I am not sure about the one that was eaten though, it completely died back then regrew, so the roots are probably exhausted. I was considering covering some lettuce in a hoop house for the winter, but I am starting to think the deer will jump my 6 foot fence, and tear it apart, in the middle of the winter they are really desperate....See More- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESGet Artful with Artichokes
Enjoy This Spring Vegetable's Shape and Color Around the House
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDHouzz Call: Home Farmers, Show Us Your Edible Gardens
We want to see where your tomatoes, summer squashes and beautiful berries are growing this summer
Full Story
FALL AND THANKSGIVINGYour Guide for a Simpler Thanksgiving
Ease the stress of hosting the big day with these tips
Full Story
ENTERTAINING8 Stress-Busting Tips for Hosting Small Gatherings
Make entertaining easy with these ideas for casual get-togethers
Full Story
MOST POPULAR20 Ideas for Easygoing Summer Parties
Ditch the fancy and fussy in favor of laid-back entertaining that leaves you more time to enjoy the fun
Full Story
HEALTHY HOME12 Ways to Set Up Your Kitchen for Healthy Eating
Making smart food choices is easier when your kitchen is part of your support team
Full Story
sheilajoyce_gwOriginal Author