SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ppbchick

Help! Crown molding vs. Window casings

ppbchick
6 years ago

Help! We are having crown molding installed on our first floor and have run into an issue in the kitchen. The kitchen is open to the family room with no breaking/transition points. The plan was to run the crown throughout; however, the casings on the 2 kitchen transoms windows will be in the way on the one wall.

Our installer said we need to decide what we want to do and I'm just not sure... One option is to forgo the crown on that one wall, letting the crown on the side walls run into the corners and end. Since both corners have taller kitchen cabinets, it would somewhat hide the ending points, but not completely. The other option is to remove/change the window casings to allow for the crown. I'm leaning more towards this options, but I'm not sure what to do about the windows. I feel like they need some kind of trim, since the rest of the windows and doors have trim -- but we may only have 2-3" left after the crown is hung.

Thoughts and suggestions?? Any photos of similar solutions would be greatly welcomed also!

Comments (6)