SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jencaljil

New Build Kitchen Help

B Carey
6 years ago

I am building in the Spring. Trying to decide if I should make the kitchen any larger/smaller(yeah right!). If you saw my post a week ago, the idea of storing pretty much all of my food in the adjacent pantry is new to me. My last home and the new home (current home is to get from point A to point B) both had basement pantries. Great for buying a van full of couponed Costco paper towels or storing enough food for any type of apocolypse. Also looking forward to lots of canning.

I based my current kitchen size off what I felt was the ideal island size 7*3.5. The kitchen window is at the front of the home and the got bumped from 9 foot to 10 foot to allow symmetry with a mudroom (which I can make 11 or 12 feet deep too!) My last kitchen only had 3 foot wide aisles. While hubby and I worked together in kitchen, it was tight, but not bad. My parents have 4 foot wide aisles, and it feels like a marathon turning around. I like cozy. I did put 4 foot between the sink and island, and could increase kitchen width to allow 4 feet between fridge and island. The only dining space is in front of the kitchen and would also get expanded if kitchen gets expanded (which is fine, but it is about 22 sq feet for every 1 foot kitchen expands, so I want it to be worth $4400 for that foot!) Originally I had the pantry in the corner, but with just a door from the kitchen, no bar area. Since the outdoor kitchen will be on the other side of the bar/pantry, I decided it would be worth it to add some space and make a walk through for grilling and such. Guests would access the deck from the dining space.

My wishes before starting the plan:

-I really wanted a big island with no obstructions. My last island felt big, but I always wished it didn't have the small sink when mass baking/canning/etc.

-I wanted a large window with a ledge for decor and herbs.

-I think I have every corner range/stovetop on Houzz and pinterest saved. It looks so homey to me. I know I am loosing cabinet/counter space doing this, although I am in the don't like corner cabinets camp.

-I wanted a built-in look for the fridge with an open space above for decor.

Style/Finishes:

-Thinking 2 tones for the cabinets...probably distressed wood and a cream. I don't think I want to do darker base and ligher uppers, but really not sure where I should do which finish.

-Love the idea of a darker toned butcher block on island. I do not know if we will use it for cutting or baby it. Would need to do something more basic on other counters if I do this.

-I like symmetry, so thought a baking cabinet across from the fridge with the same furniture look (push in doors) and ledge above would look nice.

Unsure about:

-I don't know if I like how the double ovens would stick out 6 inches wider than the baking cabinet?

Need to keep in kitchen:

-Plates/cups/bowls/silverware

-bread box drawer/maybe keep toaster in the same drawer?

-coffee maker/coffee cups/coffee all go in the same location (currently)

-pots/pans in drawers under stove

-figure I will keep baking pans in drawer under ovens. Would love 2 drawers but have heard that makes the ovens too high? Probably store muffin and misc pans above ovens.

-reynolds wrap/seran wrap/aluminum foil/etc

-cooking knives

-microwave or microwave drawer-unsure if I should keep under island in kitchen or in pantry. I mostly use it to melt butter, but plan to have a butter dish. Kids use for popcorn, but will have one downstairs.

Appliances:

42 inch built in Sub Zero

36 inch gas stove

2 wall ovens, maybe one being a CSO

dishwasher

In the bar:

Plan a small sink, an 18 inch dishwasher and a 15 inch ice maker.

Across from the bar, I thought about stealing some pantry space to have shelving for cookbooks and fancy baking dishes, etc.

I would love help coming up with the best plan for my space. My floorplans should be finalized in a month (hopefully). Then I will be sending out for bids. If it makes sense to add space...now is the time to do it!

Comments (25)