SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_w77

Need advice on counter and cabinet install issues

John W
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This is my first time getting new counters and cabinets so I want to make sure I am not being unreasonable with my concerns.

I had cabinets and counters installed all by the same place I purchased from so I would only have to go one place if things went wrong. I got magnetic gray quartz counters and bass shaker white cabinets.

When they got done there were several nicks and dings on the cabinets frames and a door. The guy touched it up with paint and the door look great, the frames the dings are deep enough they will need a second trip with some caulk or putting as they just look pike painted cracks.

I assume that's normal that there will be some minor damage even from professional installers?

The counters is what really has me worried, the guys fabricated on site and left some issues:

Scratches on the outside edge of the sink counter (yes that hideous door is on the way out and yes I know the counter is too close :( that was my fault)

Lots of glue resin all over the counter that showed up when I ran my finger nail over it and scuffed it up. I assume this will come up easily. It doesn't come off the sink when I scratch so hopefully paint thinner or goo gone will get it off.

This scratch is only about a quarter inch but it's through the finish

Somehow there is a lot of discoloration... on the sink counter that doesn't seem to exist on the peninsula. I recall they guys used a lot of paint thinner to clean up and I think left it pretty wet, wondering if that could seep in and discolor? There is more blobs in other areas on this piece but it's really hard to capture with the camera.

These guys did have the lowest bid by about 10% and I recognize sometimes it's a case of you get what you pay for so I want to make sure my expectations are in line.

They have also been recommended by two people I know who used them, however I think mostly for flips so probably didn't scrutinize their work as much.

A few things of note, the guys did not have me inspect the slabs on arrival, they just started working and no one was on site that spoke English that well so communication was sparse.

As I said this is my first kitchen so I didn't know what to look for.

The have already come by and fixed a small piece of counter they cut crooked and not shown in the pictures above is that they didn't finish beveling the front of the peninsula right so they will come by to do that (unfortunately in place I am sure).

My questions for you guys is:

Are these things that can be fixed? They will send their guys out tomorrow but I am afraid they will try to buff stuff out and just ruin the finish.

If so is this within tolerance for a budget installer? I would never expect these results from the top end guys, but I do realize when you don't go top end you also shouldn't expect the same result.

If these are not things that can be fixed for whatever reason and they offer a discount what percentage would you feel is reasonable for this kind of issue?

Thanks for our input!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County