SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_fine65

Which way do faucets turn??

David Fine
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I never thought I would have to ask this question, but I have just redone my bathroom and I have cross handles on my two sinks and bathtub. They are three hole, so separate from the faucet. The sink faucets are a different manufacturer than the bath ones. They were installed correctly, but on the bath, to turn on the water, you turn the hot and cold out, so hot, on the left, clockwise and cold counter clockwise. On my sinks, it's exactly the opposite. It's weird to have faucets which are inconsistent as you get used to doing it one way on the sink so when I go to the bath it feels wrong. I can't change the bath because it's a drop in and it would be a lot of disruption to pull the bath out, so I changed the sinks to match the bath, which means that the faucet they labeled as hot is now on the other side, used for the cold water, but it now makes me wonder which one is correct. Or is it simply a choice? The bathtub faucets mimic the same movement as if it was a lever instead of a cross handle, so I wonder if it works that way because the manufacture simply puts different handles on the same faucet.

Comments (22)