SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sageness21

managing an invasive I can't remove

Sage TX 9a
6 years ago

Hi, I wonder if I could get some advice on how to handle an evil Siberian Elm. I live in a townhouse with front and back yards, which we can do what we want with short of chopping down trees. In front, someone many decades ago planted a Siberian Elm at the southwestern edge of my postage stamp front yard, and now there are large roots that produce copious suckers bisecting my yard (as well as more roots I don't bother about in the common area between mine and the next building). A little over a week ago, a tree service removed several limbs that were banging against my roof since Hurricane Harvey, and then we got yet another week of rain, and so this tree has been popping up new suckers almost daily. For the root crossing my yard, I've pruned off the large ones and applied pruning seal, and I've pinched off the small ones between thunderstorms.

The yard is a tiny 6'x8' area of bare earth with a few shrubs. (Part sun, well-draining, poor dirt, plus some fire ants.) I have plans to cover the yard entirely with crushed rock and/or river stone so I can xeriscape later, but I want to do what I can to minimize the suckers. Would beginning with a layer of garden fabric (or a tarp?) be helpful, or is that overkill? Or would a 2" layer of rock alone be enough? Budget is a concern, but so are aesthetics and ease of managing the space. Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)