SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

October 2017 Week 1 Gardening And Life....

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Good morning, dear gardening family.

Here we are starting a new month, a month in which the summer garden generally really begins to wind down as the weather cools and the fall garden really begins to take off in the cooler, milder, often wetter weather.

Our garden is going strong despite the lack of attention. Of course, with no one brave enough to weed during the snake season, the weeds are going strong as well, but I'll take care of them after the first freeze, when I can be relatively certain I won't find any snakes while weeding.

We mowed this weekend, grass fires and stronger wind returned to our area over the weekend, and we ended up September with less than 20% of our usual September rainfall. We need rain! I am hoping Mother Nature brings us some rain this week, but our forecast is for less than an inch---not the heavy rainfall we need to stop the grass fires that have started up.

I don't have much more to add---I am stunned almost speechless this morning by the news of the largest mass shooting in American history which occurred last night in Las Vegas. I cannot even wrap my mind around the numbers on the news this morning--50 dead, at least 200 wounded. No words. Tim was just in Vegas three weeks ago for the ALEAN (Airport Law Enforcement Agencies Network) 2017 Conference and found everyone there to be wonderfully welcoming to visitors. How horrible that one person could do such a terrible thing....and at an event like a country music festival where people were just enjoying music and having fun. Thoughts and prayers to all affected. This morning I feel like my heart is bleeding for Las Vegas.

Comments (57)