Experience with Hypericum species?

K K (Zone 8)

I recently purchased several Hypericum inodorum 'Magical Passion' at a plant sale. Long story short, I had been wanting native Hypericum species to stabilize a slope I have and was in a rush and grabbed these up, assuming they were native. Now that I got home and researched the species I realize they are not. I hate to toss out all these plants (7), but did have my heart set on using a native like Hypericum prolificum. However, I am having a hard time sourcing the native ones where I live. Anyone have any thoughts on how invasive Hypericum inodorum is and whether it's worth it to seek out the native version? I am in Zone 8. Thanks in advance.

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

It is no more invasive than any other shrubby form of St. John's wort but does have the ability to self-seed. But then so does H. prolificum, which is considered an invasive species in Connecticut where it has escaped from culitvation and has naturalized wild areas.

The 'Magical' series has produced plants that offer a wide selection of berry colors and are in demand for the florist trade, as the berries are used in cut flower bouquets. It should also be more or less evergeen in a zone 8 climate.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Hypericum Prolificum Brings the Best of St. Johnswort to the Garden
This eastern North American species pairs bright yellow summer flowers with compact shrubbery
Full Story
Coffee With an Architect Classification of the Design Species
A scientific analysis of the diverse variety of species found in the world of design
Full Story
Furniture What Are the Best Wood Species for Furniture?
Learn about 9 common woods used in furniture and how they affect appearance and durability
Full Story