SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snarkyinla

how to get streamlined look from an alcove tub with tile flange.

snarkyinla
6 years ago

in an ideal world, I would have a tub with an apron on two sides (long, and short side opposite the drain), and tile only to sides (side with the drain, and the back wall long side). (See last photo below for the "look" I'm going for). But, two-sided tubs are hard to find and generally expensive. So the better option is to create a pony wall about the same height as the "third" side. BUT as all sides of tubs today have the built-in tile flange, you really end up needing to tile the third side as well, so that means you have to have at least some height above the tub on the third side (unless you can get rid of the flange). See first photos below as an example.

Has anyone every successfully dealt with this problem? I'd really love to have the look of a freestanding tub and just grout it into the corner on the two sides, but I know that's not the best way of going about things, especially to avoid leaks down the road.

The last photo below is exactly what I would like, but i believe this is with a drop-in tub and requires a lot more labor expense (plus surrounding platform) than I can spend.

Comments (6)