SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctlady_gw

Acrylic tub tile flanges - which is best?

ctlady_gw
15 years ago

We are considering two different acrylic soaker tubs for a bathroom remodel. I now understand that one (the Maax Topaz in a 60x36 size) comes with an optional "field installed" tile flange. The other, a Jason, has a factory-installed flange. I have no idea which is better or if it matters -- does it? One tile installer today told me he finds the factory installed flanges vastly better and dislikes the field installed ones.

The tub is replacing an existing one in an "alcove" installation (3 walls tiled). One tub has a separate (added on the job site I assume -- not sure how they attach?) skirt and one has an integral skirt. Which is better in terms of function and/or looks if we want a skirted effect? And what would have to be done in terms of installing the tub in order to be able to tile the skirt area instead of using an acrylic skirt? I assume there would have to be some sort of framing so the front could be tiled? Is this a big deal in terms of the contractor and what he would have to do to install this tub? Also, how would an "field-installed" skirt be attached and how satisfactory are those over time?

Thanks for any thoughts... we'll be asking potential contractors about this but would like to be armed with some information going in...

Comments (3)