SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilano21

Flowering annuals that rats don't like?

marilano21
6 years ago

I have a number of planter boxes and planter bowls in my small backyard, which gets only partial sun. FYI, I live in the San Jose area. I've always planted a lot of impatiens, since they do well there, and occasionally other annuals like petunias or pansies. Well, for the first time in the over 20 years I've lived here, rats (and/or possums?) are eating ALL my potted flowering plants, down to the roots. I've seen a rat on my fence at least a couple of times, so I know there are rats around my neighborhood. In the past, squirrels would often dig up or kick out the flowering plants to plant or look for nuts, etc., but they never actually ATE the plants. This past winter was also the first time rats were eating the tangerines on my tree (and hollowing out the rinds). Can anyone suggest any kind of flowering plant (annual or perennial) that would work in planter boxes or bowls and that do okay in only partial sun AND that would be unappealing to or inedible by rats (or possums, in case they are doing some of the eating)? I like looking at flowers in my yard and don't really want to look at dirt in planter bowls and boxes (some of which are on the ground but many of which are in plant stands).

Comments (9)