SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_44376818

Finishing basement - one or two finished rooms for resale value?

User
6 years ago

Should we go with one big room or one larger and one smaller room with a door?

We are talking to contractors about finishing our basement. Actually, half of it. The half that will be finished is 25' 4" x 11' 2".

It is a 1974 build colonial and in our area about half of the basements are finished, half our not. We want to increase the resale value of the home when we sell in 3 to 5 years. Plus we want to use and enjoy the finished part. The unfinished half is the same size and includes my husband's work room, the furnace and water heater units and related stuff, and the laundry room and storage.

We are planning to have the finished area done with all dry wall, probably luxury vinyl plank or cork flooring (with area rugs for warmth), a nice drop ceiling or dry wall, haven't decided yet & recessed lights, plus an under steps finished area with storage of room for desk. The biggest part will be a family entertainment area with seating and a TV, etc.

The question is, from a perspective of resale value, is it better to have one big finished multi-purpose room for the full size 25 x 11, or split it into maybe 15 x 11 and 10 x 11? The smaller room with door could be an office, a music studio room (my son would use it) or even a playroom.

What are opinions and thoughts about one big finished room or two smaller but still good size finished rooms?

I will attempt to upload a photo, but it's not that useful as it is completely unfinished. Two windows at one end (of the finished area, 3 more in the unfinished area)

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus
More Discussions