SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chicagoerin

making two bedrooms into one w/o decreasing value?

chicagoerin
10 years ago

Hi, I am considering buying a 1400 sq ft house in a very desirable neighborhood. They are older ranches that usually sell by word of mouth, not listed with a realtor. I want this to by my retirement home and plan on living there for the next 30 years. For my daughter and I ,it would be best to make take out a wall between the two smallest bedrooms and make it into a master suite..adding a walk in closet and master bath. This would make the house a 2 bedroom versus three in a neighbhorhood where all the houses have 3 beds. I know for resale value/appraisal value this will most likely decrease the value. Does anyone have any creative ideas of how I could do this and still have one big room but creatively be able to consider it 2/turn it into two easily or for appraisal? I have considered the following: 1. leaving a teen tiny room with a window and calling it the thirld bedroom (do they have to be a certain size to qualify? 2. Keeping both doors to each room, knocking out the wall and adding a slliding wall/partition. That I only close when it's appraisall time (stragely.. the third bedroom has such a sliding wall that seperates it from the living room) I am NOT concerned about selling the place, should i have to. It will sell even as 2 bedrooms. These houses go mostly to single elderly folks who would love the master suite. I am concerned about appriasal, as I will be rolling approx 80k of rennovation work into my mortgage (through a credit union) and need the house to appriase out for as much as I put into it. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get my big master and not lose the third bedroom?

Comments (16)