SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

Outdoor faucet leaks down into indoor slab

Jane
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Yesterday I was using the outdoor faucet attached to the front of the house. There is a brick facade above the exposed part of the foundation walls. I noticed leaking between the brick facade and the foundation wall, all along the top of the wall where the concrete foundation met the brick. This was outside.

When I went inside, I heard water rushing. Outside a hose was attached to the faucet with minor leaking, and a shutoff spray gun was attached to the other end of the hose. The spray gun wasn’t leaking much either. But I still heard water rushing.

I went inside periodically to see if anything was leaking through the interior wall or the basement floor about 4 feet below. I did not notice anything until this morning, when I noticed the carpet near the faucet was slightly damp.

So there appears to be a leak when I turn on the outdoor faucet. It may be just when the hose is attached with the spray gun shutoff, or not.

Is this something I can fix myself by unscrewing the faucet and getting a new part? The fixture is probably more than 30 years old. Or do I need to call a plumber?

How would I fix it? What is probably wrong?

Edit: This is one of those frost proof faucets that you have to turn extra rotations to prevent freezing in the pipe. I had a similar faucet in the back yard replaced with a faucet that did not require the extra turns. Also I’m pretty sure the water comes through the main line which I can shut off inside the house.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH