SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b_crumley33

New Growth on Mango Plant Dying

Bruce
6 years ago

Greetings all. After having appealed to the kind and wise minds of this forum to save my failing plumeria (thanks again to all for that!), I'm appealing for guidance again with a seed-grown mango plant that had been thriving on my terrace (inside in winter) in Paris.

Growth was regular as a seedling to small tree, slowed a bit as it got larger, then had a burst last May-June. End of June, Paris had a (alas rare) heat spell during which highs went up to 35 C, probably a bit hotter on my cement terrace. That fried new growth on the top of the plant (as well as a smaller sapling that eventually died entirely).

Since then, the upper stalk continually sprouts new small branches and leaves, only to halt about two-three weeks after, go dry and die. (Two photos show the numbs of attempted growth, as well as new buds trying again.)

There is also new growth lower down on the trunk, but I'll have to wait and see if that fails as well...

No visible sign of any pests, and per advise seen on other forums, it's impossible to score failed growth to see if bugs or worms are inside, because they're just too small.

FYI, culprit with my plumeria (which is nearby) was white spiders that several wipe-downs took care of. I also have seed-grown passion fruit and papaya plants near that don't share the mango's problem.

Any ideas or tips would be most gratefully welcome, and I thank any reflection in advance.

All best.

Bruce in Paris

PS. Server doesn't want seem to let me upload photos for now, so I'll post this text now, and try sending the pix in a bit.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm