SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sirk9895

May have planted my viburnum and Skip Laurels too deeply? What to do..

K
6 years ago

Hi all
So, after a marathon week (trenched waterlines, other landscaping work) at home, I finally planted my 3 prague viburnum and 5 skip laurels (plus a 7' Redbud tree).
This was my first time planting. Ever.
I cleared the sod (6' diameter circle for redbud; 2.5' radius for Skip laurels in a hedge/rounded end rectangle; 3' circle for Viburnum). I used a manual edging tool, and dug the sod out at this level (think it leaves a 2-3" lower level?).
I dug down to what I thought was rootball depth for skip laurel; container depth for viburnum and redbud. These were also dug 2x the width of the rootball/container.
I realized I was too deep for the skip laurels after i removed root ball fabric and twine and tried to break up the soil/loosen roots on the skip, so I added some of what I dug out
I then mixed mushroom compost (1/3 of a 5 gallon bucket) with bagged premium topsoil (1/3 of a 5 gallon bucket) with a full 5 gallon bucket of the soil I removed.
I attempted to get the 'bulge' just above the roots 2" above the soil. But I realize now that is 2" above where I removed sod... this is slightly below the grass/soil line elsewhere. I also noticed, after 4 days of watering, that the plants seem to have settled a bit.
Is this a problem? Should I try to remove the plants and add topsoil underneath? I have yet to mulch-- thats on tap for this weekend... I really dont want to kill the plants, as they've already been sitting for 10 days in my yard prior to planting...
Sorry, I dont have a picture at the moment...

Comments (8)