SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missindie1

Help/advice needed with what to replace this with

Chessie
6 years ago

So now that my repainting is done, and my new counters are in, I am seeing other things that need to be updated or simply changed. I have had this baker's rack since I was about 29 years old - that makes it 32 years old. (Holy crap!) I am fairly certain that I have family members that will want it - as soon as I can figure out what to replace it with. As you can see, I need shelf storage for my breadmaker, and my printer, and my telephone is there as well. (I don't like the telephone on the wall - I've always had this rack here so it is very convenient to get to.) If I had one more shelf, I might even consider keeping it, but there are just three - very limited storage. The space is 36" wide by 22" deep, but I really don't want anything deeper than 18" - so 34-36 x 18 is the maximum dimensions that I would want. The shelves need to be open as the light switches are just to the right of the doorway there, and my Fios/phone line is in the middle of that wall. FYI, this is at the end of my kitchen (that is a built-in desk) and the carpeted area is actually the start of the dining room. Living room is through the doorway on the right.

I was at a Container Store a couple of months ago and saw this unit. It's really quite nice looking in person, very sturdy (much sturdier than my old rack). It has adjustable shelves, and I can add shelves as needed. My sis was with me and I pointed it out and she was aghast that I would consider putting it in my dining room/kitchen. She thought it only suitable for a pantry or a really professional kitchen. So I am asking what you guys think. I have looked and looked and looked. Looked at open buffets, baker's racks, bookshelves...you name it. I'd even consider something with a cabinet on the bottom, but the shelves have to be open, and it really has to be sturdy. No wine racks - I don't drink the stuff so those are wasted space for me. Budget? I dunno - nothing over $500, for sure. This unit is on sale for just over $200, which makes it very very tempting. Is it too "pantryish" for my location??

Ideally, I would have bought this unit(in the link below) - in a heartbeat - but it is no longer made. I don't want anything really rustic-looking, or too outdoorsy. I came across this image and loved it, but of course found it was discontinued.

https://www.pier1.com/marchella-metal-hutch-%26-buffet/IHB006.html

So just looking for other perspectives.thoughts.

Comments (4)