SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itay_bavly

Need help designing a 530sqft studio!

Itay Bavly
6 years ago

I've got a bit of a blind eye for style but I really want to make this new place somewhere I can really enjoy. I've been inspired by all the helpful posts on houzz so though I'd share my situation and ask for some specific advice. I specifically struggle with colours and materials, I never know what works together!

I've put some work into getting small pieces that I think are fun/cool, but I've been paralyzed on the big items: TV (specifically where to put one), couch area, and table. My current thoughts are to wall mount a TV above the kitchen pass-through, put a sofa up against window facing the TV, and a dining room table in the corner where the lamp currently is. I've gotten suggestions to get a round table, but I'm not sure about that, only ever had square tables in the past. I think a glass table could make the place look bigger, and perhaps a bigger sofa would help make the place look big (some suggestions I've seen were that small pieces make studios feel even smaller - a mistake I've made in the past).

I'm not looking to spend for high end designer items given that a studio is unlikely to be my forever home, but I'm willing to spend to make this a home I can love for a few years :) All help is appreciated!

Comments (191)

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My couch is 80", the carpet is 9'6"

I thought that because the room is small, and I really like the carpet, it would more open and less cluttered with a clear table.

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am a bit worried about having to constantly clean. This would be something more industrial?

https://www.houzz.com/products/weathered-gray-coffee-table-with-shelf-prvw-vr~45166356

• Related Discussions

music studio for design noob

Q

Comments (9)
    Black fades into the background. We overlook it. White jumps out and catches our eyes. If you have two identically sized and shaped objects, the one painted white will look larger than the one painted black. It's counterintuitive because we feel as though black is bolder so it should demand more attention. In reality it's the brighter white that the eye is drawn to. You can probably find some optical illusions online that illustrate this. They're usually along the lines of "which square is bigger?" with a picture of a black square on a white background and a white square on a black background. The white square appears bigger, even though they are the same dimensions. When judging distance, most people estimate white objects to be closer to them than black objects placed at the same distance.
    ...See More

Need help styling my rental studio

Q

Comments (52)
    I wonder if there's room for a bookcase type thing at the head of the bed (assuming that the foot is against the wall where the sectional is now)...it would both separate the space and serve as a "hallway"..DH mentioned it earlier...Also some colored baskets would add a much-needed accent color as well as fantastic storage...Maybe it would even eliminate the need for a nightstand if there's an outlet on the side wall for a short lamp. Also wondering if Nicky has abandoned us rabid small-space lovers :)
    ...See More

Need help designing my studio layout!!

Q

Comments (3)
    An idea: Imagine the bed being quite narrow and used for seating ocasionally too. A bookcase as headboard, open to the kitchen side (make sure to secure it to wall/ceiling). Two seater sofa. Wooden stool as coffee table (forgot to draw), tv inbetween windows. Tiny dining table (great for laptop work too). (My former studio was 270 sqft and I had two bookcases, a closet, a desk, an armchair, a 47" wide bed, a coffee table and a small dining table all packed in there, without feeling too cramped. The layout was quite different though, less windows and a smaller kitchen.)
    ...See More

Help designing studio apartment

Q

Comments (4)
    I prefer the black Eames lounge chair as well. Just remember, along with the ottoman, it takes up quite a lot of floor space. I would add a credenza under the bike picture, as a resting spot for keys, etc., plus added storage. Perhaps an Eames Hang-it-All too? Looks like a great space!
    ...See More
  • Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What is a good scale for couch:table ratio?

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago
  • Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry for 5 posts in a row: no love for the dresser above?

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

"This would be something more industrial?"-no, that'd be a really expensive work bench called a "coffee table"..:) seriously, my Grandpa was able to make a better one-and he didn't have a lot of materials at hand

ratio: table approximately two thirds of the couch length

look at the height as well..should be a bit lower than the couch. for the comfort of everyday usage..

abbington one might work

(prism is as midcentury as i am..if i stand up on my toes and make a real grown up face lol)

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

...that's kinda a bit more industrial..plus glass..plus storage..pricing is around the same

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/shadowbox-coffee-table?category=tables&color=020

(they have a few interesting ones..I just think you need to decide on your direction)

• shwshw
    6 years ago

I like the dresser ;-)

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I like the table april shows...

I don't really see a need for the dresser...a lower console table might be a better choice as it will look deliberate, rather than simply an extra dresser that you didn't have room to put in the sleeping area...

I wonder how you feel about this one...it's from Target, so easy for you to return if it doesn't work...

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Found this concrete (and industrial) table last night and thought it was gorgeous and cheap-ish with free shipping!

• User
    6 years ago

I like this one from allmodern..I seem to be unable to upload photos at the moment so here's a link..

https://www.allmodern.com/furniture/pdp/bridgewater-coffee-table-ivyb1193.html?ds=74100

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lots of cool ideas! I like this one :)

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Quick update, I haven't disappeared just waiting on the coffee table and TV.

Got a new lamp, throw and some pillows. Decided against a sconce which would require electrical work. Still need to put some time into art/decoration

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

oh wow

two small suggestions:

-that cool pillow with shapes is supposed to be horizontally laid..when not in use:) I think

-sconce wouldn't require electrical work if it's wall mounted; but then you'll have a cord of course. unless you don't have any outlet there-and then yes-it's kinda..no sconce then. that's a pity..

overall amazing transformation

and art/decoration is one of the best things to put time in..well at least to me..so you're good:)

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

..and one more thing that I noticed..I don't know how conscious that was, but all, or almost all colors you used in the end, can be found in this art you find fascinating but maybe too sad..with the tram going through the fog..you might be inspired by it more than you know

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

I love this post! So creative and it is coming together nicely....two suggestions.....I think a nice upholstered platform bed with headboard in grey would give your bed area a more structured look and you only need a simple coverlet to cover the bed.

Wall paper on one wall and hanging lamps and leather bed; stunning. Oh and great interesting curtains to tie it all together.

A more feminine looks but the elements are great! Crown moulding, chandelier, sconces upholstered bed.

Again a bit more feminine but the large modern art and the floating night stand might squeeze in for the width between the bed and walls.

Choose two colors from the rug and consider those colors only when you buy future accessories, and decide which color will be dominant and which color will play second fiddle.

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

april, didn't know that about the pillow, thanks. Neat observation with the picture, never even thought about that.

Susan, I'm in a rental so I think wallpaper and ceiling lights are probably a no go.

I agree with the curtains, I'm waiting until I get an extension in Dec before I install anything new.

There's definitely no room for night tables in the nook that holds the bed, unfortunately.

Looks like my colours are blue/yellow.

• lovliny
    6 years ago
    My son's NY studio was similar in size 585 sq. ft. Here are some photos of how he arranged it before selling. The back wall of the sleeping alcove was mirrored.
  • Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thats actually very similar to my layout lovliny!

Final big pieces are here, next step is art. Will be a bit tricky, a lot of the walls are windows, then there is the pass through and the tv. best spots are behind the accent chair, to the left of the pass through and in the hallway.

Will probably need to think of something decorative for the wide part of the hallway as well.

• judrand05
    6 years ago

Color, color, color. Rich or bright but color. No matter what you do, it's going to remain a small space. Period. So why not make it fabulous! Do you like the modified BoHo style. The mixture of purples and raspberry and golds would look sensational in a small studio. Or a comfy casual minimalist look with grays and oranges and greens. And don't use small-scale furniture or your studio will look like a child's playhouse. Be bold. Have fun. And give your guests a place they love to visit.

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

How about an artificial Agave plant? The rubbery plastic one I bought really looks real. You could also look at fake snake plants or fake aloe. The aloe might be to wide for your space though. Anyway those plants look best in a rubbery plastic not silk. Some...you really can't tell till you touch it, and even then with a quality one it's hard to tell. Stick with succulent types.

Don't go too cheap on the fake plants I bought a smaller cheap Agave to go with my nice bigger one and the cheapy one is lame.

Take your time on the art. You don't want a generic look or a teen fantasy look after all your hard work.

Itay Bavly thanked just_terrilynn
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

Saatchi Art put together two ..curated collections?

limited edition prints under 100

https://www.saatchiart.com/art-collection/Painting-Printmaking-Drawing/Limited-Edition-Prints-Under-100/722504/211404/view?utm_source=collectors_loyalty&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2075&c_aid=loyalty&c_crid=pod1&c_xid=111617&utm_content=111617_loyalty&mpweb=1008-6923-278866

and art between 100$ to 500$

(they present it like possibilities for a gift ..every site is doing this gift blahblah right now. I guess just to leave me broke lol)

https://www.saatchiart.com/art-collection/Painting-Printmaking-Photography/Art-Gifts-for-100-500/871991/211937/view?utm_source=collectors_loyalty&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2075&c_aid=loyalty&c_crid=pod2&c_xid=111617&utm_content=111617_loyalty&mpweb=1008-6923-278866

but. it's a huge site. you don't need actually whatever they put together even though I liked there quite a few...there are lots of originals that will be reasonable price, and many artworks where you can order prints...and these would be prints of art you really love, not mass production, still prints but your connection with them will be different since they'll be by artist, not but some huge reproduction shop..just don't be in a hurry...look..give yourself time.

(obviously there are plenty of sites; Saatchi is just one of my favorites, their artists are from every country possible, you can find paintings, drawings, collages, photography..their customer service is impeccable)

don't do new-but-distressed little dresser; that's a fad. distressed things are interesting when they really lived you know? have something to tell.

what are the dimensions needed?

(the thing with bottles and tray strikes me right now as most useful lol)

Itay Bavly thanked aprilneverends
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Itay, I'm trying to tap into your art style. None of these are Jose that I posted above and like for color bursts and extremely low auction prices. You might want to check Enrique Zaldvar on eBay he also does a lot of free ship and his paintings are very colorful. However, there are a few other artists mixed in here. Some of the paintings are small but most are medium sized. All are signed originals on canvas (except maybe the eye) I need to read that one. It's cool though.

The prices below maybe subject to change as these are mostly auctions. You can get some great deals on auctions sometimes. And, it's fun! Don't bid till the last 30 sec's and then bid high.

There is really no good reason not to buy original art.

Itay Bavly thanked just_terrilynn
  • User
    6 years ago

It's coming along...the small pillow (lumbar pillow) needs to live on the chair...

Your bed should be simple and easy to throw a comforter over in the AM, so please consider this bed, which looks a lot neater than what you have now...Houzz won't let me post a photo at the moment, so here's the link:

https://www.jossandmain.com/furniture/pdp/amesbury-upholstered-panel-bed-zipc7338.html

It's a great deal on a king size, plus free shipping and pretty good reviews.

You can then get rid of your dust ruffle, which really isn't doing your room any favors, tbh. I would love to see a different color comforter in there to break up all the gray.

Turn your bed back the way you originally had it. It looks so much better that way. You can then use your little table as a nightstand and we'll get you a different side table for your sofa.

I'm going to assume you have an outlet on the wall where the head of the bed will be....so..

Now try your existing console at the foot of the bed (preferable you will get a longer console, I think upthread that's what you said your plan was to do? Even if you don't, then what you have will work) and move the tv over there (cord should go under the bed so your don't trip as you might if you plug in the tv to the side...kwim??) Anyway, this will serve to define your sleeping and your living spaces, and will give you a better area for your sofa and chair.

I very much prefer the other lamp you had...what happened to it?

Take the shelves down above the bed...they're too small for that space...maybe we can relocate them.

If you go in this direction, we can look at that long wall for art above your (relocated) sofa...

Itay Bavly thanked User
  • Yayagal
    6 years ago

I love the dog art, never get tired of it and you do have a dog who should have a say lol.

• User
    6 years ago

Your place is looking great! What breed is your dog? OMG he's so cute!

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lots of suggestions here, thanks!

Agave plants are cool, something like this maybe?

https://www.houzz.com/products/pure-garden-52-giant-agave-floor-plant-prvw-vr~47273017

Don't want something that spreads out too much since the place is already small

I've been looking at all the different art stuff posted, there's so many options its hard to pull the trigger on anything. Keeping an eye out I'm sure I'll build the nerve eventually :)

I don't really have dimensions for a possible dresser, there's nothing really needed just trying to fill out the place. Would be nice to have somewhere I can leave stuff like my work bag, jeans, etc. on a daily basis. Don't really want to leave them on the floor and the closets get messy when I'm stuffing things in there.

penny, moved the pillow to the chair as you suggested

I don't think I want to buy a new bed. Maybe once the place is totally finished, art, curtains, etc. I can look to fine tune, but right now I'd rather invest in things that are missing rather than buying replacements, I think the current bed is functional and most people have said they like the current setup.

There is definitely no room for a night table even if I turn the bed. I also use the laptop stand a lot so its an important functional piece for me. I agree that turn the bed/swap the tv stand and sofa is a valid setup, but most people have told me they prefer it as is. I can always try switching it up every few months.

I'll be getting a larger console, but same as above, I think it's lower on the priority list, so I'll get one after the place is set up.

The other lamp is in the other corner (you can see it in one of the latest pictures. I'm not sure which lamp should go where but the current set up has the reading light next to the chair.

I'm going to leave the floating shelves above the bed. I like them and I'd have to refill the holes, unless everybody thinks they're terrible. They're very functional for bedside books and to hold my phone/wallet while sleeping (will include pic in next post)

art over the back wall is a good argument for flipping the sofa/console, right now there's no natural places to hang art.

My dog is a bernedoodle, I agree he is sooo cute :)

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree I could totally swap out the color on the duvet cover. Any color suggestion?

Also pretty meh about the skirt, but would it be better with nothing there?

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Itay, yes an agave plant is perfect for your small space as it adds drama in a streamline package. Just make sure the pot is sturdy enough that big puppy chow can't easily knock it over.

Its good you haven't pulled the trigger on an art auction painting yet. You need to find an artist you like and can afford then wait till you find a particular painting that calls to you. You can follow artists from your eBay preferences to keep on top of new listings in auctions.

You are a smart shopper!

• User
    6 years ago

Well, the faux plant and the bed are about the same price..

About the dust ruffle....they're made to cover metal bed frames...A bed with a frame such that I showed, doesn't need one, that's why I suggested it...a cleaner, neater look.

If you're okay with your bed like that, then what can I say? It IS your place after all. To me, though, if I had no door to close as you don't, it all would have to look as streamlined and neat as possible.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Hey Itay, I compiled a list of .99 cent original art auctions arts on ebay on the Mera Ghar thread.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4987929/living-room-wall-decor?n=20

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

look into live aloe..they don't need much..and if you have a sre throat or something you can use them for that..and if you cut yourself you can use them too..very helpful plant:)

I'll think about bedding..sales everywhere now so easier to find but harfer to choose:)

your dog is unbelievably adorable

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Haven't forgotten about this thread. Once my place was livable I needed to save some money so hadn't worked on it much. I did finally loosen up a bit lately and have worked on the balcony, unabashedly stole most of just's ideas above.

Growing various herbs in all the pots. Don't have a car so wasn't going to be able to buy a wide variety of pregrown plants - seeds are light though! At least 75% chance I kill them though.

• shwshw
    5 years ago

Great to see/hear from you again. Balcony is looking good. That table is very cool.

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's where I'm at with the rest of the place. Not much has changed since my last update in Nov, other than picking up a couple pieces of art. Looks to me like the next logical steps are getting something under the wine rack, and replacing (or just chucking) the rug under the bed - it was a major casualty of my pup's teething days. Any thoughts/ideas?

• User
    5 years ago

Chuck the rug if it's no good. Everything is looking so pretty it's a shame to have a chewed up rug. ...

I must have missed the wine rack so I'm not sure what "under" you're referring to??

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

oh, I tried posting the pictures but looks like they didn't go through

• User
    5 years ago

Oh nice!

Now that's an interesting room divider. Might I make a suggestion? Ikea makes a panel system that you attach to the ceiling. It's very sleek looking...

OR you can simply attach a curtain rod to the ceiling and use curtains....

Why did you decide to move the tv and sofa around? Glare? What about backing it up into the corner where the dog dish is?

I like your wine rack...you could put a shelf underneath it to act as a small bar...I would get one with a lip so that the constant opening and closing of the front door doesn't cause anything to "walk" off it!

Your cute little apartment is starting to look like a real home now!

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Is it that bad? I've gotten some lukewarm reactions and I know its pretty non standard, but I enjoy looking at it so I'm loath to switch to something more conventional unless its really jarring.

I swapped the tv and couch at one of the suggestions in this thread. I think both options are ok, just haven't been motivated to switch back. Its harder to watch while cooking but it divides the room better, and works better with the print above the couch.

The dog dish is next to the door into the balcony, so backing anything up would block that off.

I think you're on the right track with the bar. I was thinking something standing rather than wall mounted, that way maybe I can get some functional storage and/or display space out of it. I don't think there's much risk of things falling but its probably worth being careful.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

Your room divider/curtain is great - I wouldn't tire of looking at that either. It's just a little messy looking at the ceiling. Could you get a piece of trim wood the width of the space and tack the curtain to that, then attach the wood to the ceiling? It would give a neater line at the ceiling.

• User
    5 years ago

Yes, I see the dog dishes...I meant (of course!) that they could go elsewhere.

You're the only one that has to like it. If you like the sheet, then that's all that matters, too :)

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

No, it's not bad at all, I find it very livable

I would be worried about seeing back of TV, (I don't like seeing backs of things, especially TVs lol..it's kinda personal)..and I'd be afraid to trip on the wires, since I'm clumsy-but I don't know what to suggest instead, as overall layout works for you

(my wires are also in dissarray)) they're just hidden better, and are under the console which is next to the wall, so no risk of tripping over them. but frankly I could have done a better job with them. In some instances, I stick wires in a basket or something..lol)

I think it's a great job overall that you did. You created a personal, cozy, functional space, and with all the limitations you had it still reads big))

I see some listings of studios/very small apartments (checking real estate here and there lol)-few people achieve what you did.

btw if you like some inspiration, regardless whether you feel like you're done or not-I always like more inspiration, because it brings new ideas to me, not only in decor, but in general-the last issue of House Beautiful deals with small spaces, and I'd say it's one of their more interesting issues, at least to me. I like seeing how everybody's handling theirs differently. Granted it's not even close to ordinary person's possibilities in budget etc, but it's fun to look at anyway. Especially as they all are in different locales..that's cool

Relationship of inside-outside is so important..and it's great how you used your balcony, to that effect, too.

Thank you for sharing your progress, we love when it happens, and appreciate it more than we can say (I dare to say"we" here because I'm almost sure, after spending here several years, that others feel much like me)

• Itay Bavly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oly, it looks like I'm unable to attach anything to the ceiling. Even with a power drill I wasn't able to make a dent, not sure what material we're working with here. Maybe I can just stretch it out at the top to look cleaner

Penny, we are playing the pronoun game :) If I pushed back the TV Stand, it would block off the door to the balcony.

April, I do wish there was something better I could do with those wires, but maybe that is just the reality of living in a rental. Definitely if I was planning on being here 5+ years I would be wall mounting the tv and running wires behind walls. As is, if I move out in 6 or 18 months I don't want to have a headache to deal with.

Thanks for the validation, I guess it's symbiotic because there is no way I could have done a fraction of this without all the ideas in this thread! Also learned a lot so when I finally get a long term place I'll hopefully be able to do a better job.

• User
    5 years ago

Sorry, I thought the door opened left to right so that the left side was stationary. So it would be angled there.

It's a great place and reminds me of my son's first apartment. He was very happy there as (I'm sure) you are in yours...

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!