SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crcollins1_gw

Layout gurus - help with basement

crcollins1_gw
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are looking to finishing our basement in our small ranch. We're two people, no kids, entertain regularly (with overnight guests). I need to include overflow pantry, storage for large stuff like Christmas decorations and such (no attic), a lot of books and games, lounge space plus a kitchen/laundry area. We will not use this kitchen for any real cooking, but for DH's beer brewing hobby. May have a two burner induction cooktop, but that's the extent of cooking. We need a deep sink for washing large pots or maybe a dog. We currently have a big plastic laundry sink and I'd like to find a stainless steel equivalent. Fridge is only for drink storage or the occasional defrosting turkey. We would like something smaller and more specific to drink storage than a full size fridge. We have a small upright freezer, and a small wine fridge.

Would like a queen sized wall bed for overnight guests. I would love a separate guest room but can't figure out how to fit that in, given egress issues, and I have two extra rooms upstairs, too. Have an elliptical machine and some free weights.

The bathroom is already finished. The black lines/spots are support posts or load-bearing walls. Electrical panel on bottom wall can't be moved. Washing machine and sink can't be moved far without also moving plumbing, so for cost reasons, I'd prefer to leave them in the area shown.

One square = one foot. This space walks out to pool toward the left side of photo (south facing), and that side is completely open to ground level. To the top of the photo above stairs is a workshop and a 10x11 area with no egress other than through the shop. The ceilings are at least 8' and the basement is dry. Already has A/C.

I penciled in some rough ideas based on how we're using the space now, but it doesn't feel right to me. Anything in pencil is negotiable. I really appreciate any layout suggestions you might have.

Comments (4)