SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikaelholzhauer

Land Surveys Don't Match (long, sorry!)

Fam of6
6 years ago

Hi all, not sure if this is the correct forum to post in, but I figured many of you building a home are also dealing with surveys and may have had a similar issue.

We live on 18 acres in rural TN on a lake, and just finished building last year. Next to us is 300+ acres of lakefront property, that just went under contract. A survey is being done before the completion of the sale, and surveyors came out yesterday. Their markers are about 15+ feet onto our property, including in the middle of our driveway and the middle of a shed. No marker on the lakefront yet...I assume this is a huge job that will take days to survey.

We also had surveys done, once when we purchased the property 4 years ago, and again 2 years ago before building. Our surveys obviously do not match the placement of these markers from yesterday, as we left about 10 feet between our driveway and the property line.

My question is, what should we do? Should we call the new owners today and ask their survey crew to come out again to double-check? Do we call the surveyors that did OUR surveys? Do we go to the county and alert them there's going to be a dispute? Do we get a lawyer?

A Google search showed some other forums (not GW) that said to stay quiet, as our surveys could be wrong and that land disputes like this can get very expensive. Of course I don't want to get into expensive litigation, but also don't want to lose 15+ feet of our property (if it is actually ours).

Not sure if this is relevant, but the new owners plan to build a home at the far end of the property, not anywhere close to us, and SAY they're putting the rest of the land in a conservation easement. We have no plans of selling our property in the future. If circumstances change and we need to move and/or sell our property, my father-in-law would purchase this land.

TIA for your advice!

Comments (25)