SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Climbing honeysuckle recommendations ?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have a pergola on which I would like a climbing flowering vine. I have a sweet autumn clematis already. I will buy another clematis this fall or spring. But for the largest central area I am considering a climbing honey honeysuckle.

Height of the pergola is 7 1/2 feet right above where the vine will be planted. Then it slopes up to about 10 feet at the highest part. Support for the vine is a vertical wood lattice til it reaches the top, the actual overhead portion of the pergola.

The sweet autumn clematis does not flower til it’s over the top. Therefore I don’t get to see any flowers (unless looking out from a second story window), as they are all overhead. Not what I had in mind!

Therefore for this new vine I want something that will flower lower down, when it is still on the latticework.

I have to consider also what might go with typical clematis colors, as how the colors go together will matter. Unless they bloom at different times? There seem to be fewer options for the honeysuckle, so I will choose that first.

Plant fall or spring?

My favorite nursery 100 miles away offers 8 kinds of Lonicera (Dropmore Scarlet, Gold Flame, Halliana, Harlequin, John Clayton, Major Wheeler, Mandarin, Serotina), and over 60 different clematis. I don’t know if I will be that way this fall. Or what they might have on hand in fall. Otherwise, spring.

But if fall planting is okay, I will keep my eyes open at a local $$ nursery this fall when they have their October close-out sale.

I prefer not bright orange or bright yellow: that wouldn’t go with anything else in the yard. Fragrance is not a priority: color and height are.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County