SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Stock Pot vs Dutch Oven

donna_loomis
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I know this probably belongs in the cookware forum, but it's pretty slow over there. I'm bewildered. I have a few pieces of my mother's old set that she bought before I was born 62 years ago. They have a lifetime warranty and believe it or not, the company made good on it by replacing a small saucepan about 5 years ago. Anyway, I have always thought this piece from the old set was a Dutch oven (5 quart capacity).

Even though it has phenolic handles, I don't want to put it in the oven. I'm making an oven stew, so used my small Stockpot (6 quart). It's much thinner than the other pot, which my research tells me is common for a Stockpot.

It also has a glass lid and none of my other lids will fit this pot. I covered it with foil before putting it in the oven. It worked, but I want an all metal pot and lid that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, that is small enough to fit in my oven. I have a very large Stockpot (probably about 12 quarts), but it's too big for the oven and overkill for about 3 quarts of stew.

So, I'm looking online for the "just right" Dutch oven and information I read tells me that most Dutch ovens are cast iron, many coated with ceramic. Does that mean that what I've always thought was my Dutch oven is something else entirely? Is it a heavy Stockpot? I don't want ceramic, because DH does most of the cooking and I know it'll be chipped in no time.

I'm looking at something like this. Stainless steel with an aluminum core.

Am I crazy, or can I use this as a Dutch oven?

Comments (11)