SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_7388907

Screen porch ceiling dilemma

User
6 years ago

We are in the process of getting a screen porch built. We have a great contractor and they are building it to be pretty heavy duty so that it could be enclosed as an addition in the future if that is something that we or the next owner of the house want to do. We also live in New England so we have to deal with snow load and our roof is not that steep.

Anyway, we though we would have an open angled vaulted type ceiling inside that we would finish in some way (paint or boards or something). As of right now it is just plywood.

But I didn't realize that had had to put in these extra collar ties for support (see photos below). They are the extra lower set of beams.

Also the roofing nails are showing through the plywood. there are ways to cover that up, but the collar ties would still be visible.

So which would you do:

1) just finish the upper angled ceiling and paint/stain it the same color as the collar ties so they blend better. This would keep the feeling of a higher ceiling but you would have those lower beams visible

2) just put in a flat ceiling of beadboard or planks under the lower beams. Would probably visually look neater HOWEVER the ceiling height in the porch would only be 7 1/2 feet. The inside of our 1850 Victorian house has 8ft ceilings. Since we are in old New England the majority of houses have very low ceilings. Our 8ft ceilings are pretty high for the area. But I'm not a big fan of low ceilings as I grew up in a part of the country with high ceilings as the norm. I suppose it would be less work than trying to finish the spaces of visible plywood in option 1.

3) something else?

Basicially cluttered & high or neat & low?

Comments (14)