SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
modernsunlight

Looks like I can't remove my 4 inch granite backsplash

6 years ago

but i really want glass subway tile in my kitchen. Thoughts? Do i just build above it?

Comments (59)

• 6 years ago

If you truly cannot remove the slab splash, then leave the splash as is and add nothing. If you do tile, which I prefer, find a way to get that slab splash off, even if it means a little bit of cabinet touch up.

• 6 years ago

Agree with Dee Sanchez.

• Related Discussions

Is a 4 inch granite backsplash out of style?

Q

Comments (32)
    I am so happy to read this vigorous debate about back splash height because I am in the midst of trying to figure out what to do in my new kitchen. I have selected a 1"x1" glass mosaic tile (in 12"x12" sheets) -- first decision made (phew!). The tile is pretty snazzy -- different shades of blue glass with a few stainless steel tiles scattered throughout. The walls are painted white (not green like in the drawing). So now I have to figure out: 1) how high to go on the west wall with no cabinets? 2) how high to go on the north wall with the cabinets? 3) do I tile to the underside of the hood or to the top of the wall cabs (I have already ruled out going up to the ceiling) The hood is 30" wide in a 36" opening (intentional for more open space and future expansion possibilities). The outlets and switches are at about 5" from the counters and the counters don't have an integrated back splash. Doing a 4" strip would be the easiest, but would it look strange adjacent to the big swath of tile under/behind the hood. Thanks in advance for weighing in and helping me think this through!
    ...See More

Would you do a 4 inch backsplash in granite and then tile?

Q

Comments (22)
    So sorry to be late to respond about the cutout in my island. 1. I have cabinets and a susan under the seating side (can't tell from the picture but the cabinets are U-shaped underneath); 2. Wouldn't be able to easily reach to clean the island with the half wall; 3. Wanted the three of use to be able to see eachother when we eat (I sit right in the curve). I did a partial renovation of the kitchen and reused cabinets and then added some. My window shelf is so convienent. Its six inches deep... the same as the regular window sill, (2x6 framing)
    ...See More

Can't remove 4" granite backsplash. I give up!!!

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks SO much for the suggestions!!! I have options:) If I decide to go with the over the stove option only, I could consider some of those "busy" tiles that I love. Spb59, I have thought about the water problem also. Over the last four years, there have been many times when the stove has over boiled and flooded the backsplash! It has never been a problem with the 4 inch. Do you have paint or tiles above it? This post was edited by annalyn123 on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 13:38
    ...See More

Backsplash on top of granite 4in backsplash

Q

Comments (5)
    Bill has posted some pictures of this before. I found some in what I believe to be a portfolio of his. Personally I believe it can work, but I much prefer to tile the whole backsplash and did just that in our remodel. My contractor tried to get me to do the 4 inch only or tile above it, but I didn't like the look. There is one advantage to the 4" backsplash. Granite/quartz creates a very tight dirt and liquid (essentially) impervious corner where the wall and counter meet. If you use tile that corner won't be quite as straight, neat or "impervious", but I don't think it's much of an issue. - Jim Here is a link that might be useful: Some 4
    ...See More
  • PRO
    6 years ago

citymom99:

Removing the splash will not damage the cabinets.

• PRO
    6 years ago

You can redo the tile above it and leave it as it is, if you're not willing or able to deal with the hassle of removing it.

• 6 years ago

THanks everyone. How bad would it be if I kept the backsplash on the sides where the cabinets are (and the backsplash is glued to the wood, but removed it from the back and put tile . so on the side ove the oven i would keep the 4 inch backsplash but remove it on the wall in the back.

• PRO
    6 years ago

It would be terrible, IMO. I would rather see tile on the cabinet to hide the damage (if any) than see slab backsplash paired with tile. I don't think the damage to the cabinet is going to be as bad as you think it is.

• 6 years ago

I understand your desire to add something you love, but personally speaking I'd have to agree, adding glass tile above the granite backsplash might be a bit too much. I wouldn't want to see tile covering a damaged area on the cabinet either, though.

• 6 years ago

thanks everyone. but i cant risk damaging the cabinets- then i'm really stuck. so either i don't do anything or i guess i build up. would it be that bad if i did a plain subway glass tile above the granite?

• PRO
    6 years ago

Yes, it would be that bad. Granite splash paired with tile is outdated and ugly.

• 6 years ago

Uh, I wouldn't go so far as to refer to a granite backsplash paired with tile as ugly. Some would consider it outdated. I like it the way it is now, just painted. Cleaner looking IMO.

• 6 years ago

It looks very nice the way it is now. With your windows and electrical outlets any tile would look cut up to fit in those areas. And trying to end the tile around the windows would not be easy.

• 6 years ago

I would leave it the way it is. With that said, if you want the tile and the granite backsplash, it is your kitchen. You should do what you like. Plus, most people who come to your house will be too polite to say that the look is dated or unattractive.

• 6 years ago

You can do what you want. It's your kitchen. :)

Here's a great blog. If you scroll down, you will find a gorgeous blue kitchen with a backsplash lip from their stone countertop and then on top of that is white subway tile.

Maybe the U.K. is behind the times when it comes to interior decorating? What do I know? I don't even know who Devol is (but he must be someone special for this blogger to be gah-gah over him). Good luck!

Kitchen backsplashes that don't follow the rules

• 6 years ago

What rules? This is a personal choice, and the decorators/designers need something to do so they tell everyone it's outdated and ugly, so take it off. Generates more work for them. Having the 4" granite and tile is not the end of the world. If you want to add a splash of color with tile, go for it. Just make sure the tile is subtle. A plus for the tile....it will protect your walls from water, from grease, from hand prints, from splashed up food. If you want glass tiles, I'm thinking a sea glass green with a gray tint would be pretty.

• 6 years ago

Its usually not a great idea to have two different surfaces on your backsplash. What you have now looks nice enough. If you really can't get the lip off the cabs and you don't want to tile the side of the cabs, I'd leave it alone. Interestingly we had travertine backsplash to the upper cabs, but just a single run on the cab sides and they kept falling off.

• 6 years ago

I don't tell my customers to remove their slab splash before tile so that I have more work to do. In fact, the ease of removing a 4" slab splash doesn't really warrant much of a charge anyway. I tell them to remove it because I don't want them to tell their friends that I helped them with their design if it's left on. It will make me look bad.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Do you want the pro result or the Home Joe result ?!

What is with the animosity directed at pros giving advice that will lead to a professional result? For no reason other than we don't love seeing someone waste materials, money, and effort to get an inferior result. These pages are loaded with that inferior result, daily. Jeessh. Blows the mind. Not " the end of the world" but a possible great result vs. .........

• 6 years ago

Are you planning to sell in the next 5 yrs? If so, then I would follow the "rule" of not adding tile above the granite strip as that could be a negative for prospective buyers. If this is your forever home and this is what is going to make you happy, then go ahead and do it. Just make sure you do a lot of internet searching of photos with the 4" strip and tile to make sure you really love that look.

• 6 years ago

JAN MOYER: I personally don't have animosity over being advised to go in the direction of a professional result. I personally want this advice, but I'm going with a full renovation and like other's ideas and suggestions (however, my final decisions will be based on my aesthetics). The OP is not doing a full or even partial renovation.

Reading the OP's posts, I'm thinking she wants glass tile very much, but has a 4" backsplash which she strongly feels cannot be removed, and is asking (and has asked this question twice from my count) if it would look alright to put glass tile over the 4" backsplash.

citymom99, you've been given quite a few options and opinions, from removing the 4" backsplash for a more refined updated look, to going ahead with 'what you desire', as well as other options (leaving as is, etc.) In my opinion, I agree with tedbixby's post above. Alternately, if you've room in your budget (and I'd guess you might if you wish to install glass tiles yourself) consider having a tile person come out and give you an estimate on the cost for both backsplash removal and tile installation.

• 6 years ago
    I would not do any tile above a granite back splash. It is not proper and looks incorrect.
  • 6 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. I will talk to my contractor and see what options, if any, i might have.

• 6 years ago

Can you at least post of picture of exactly what it is that you think "cannot be removed"? I can't imagine where you would think that this was a problem. I don't see anything in the picture above that shows a backsplash "stuck" to a cabinet. I agree with others that tile above the granite extension would not look great. I mean, it's your choice of course. But I wouldn't do it, if it were me.

• 6 years ago

In one of your other post, you mention that you are considering painting the cabinets. If you are painting the cabinets, a pro could probably repair any damage from removing that piece in connection with the painting process,

• 6 years ago

THank you very much. I don't think I will paint the cabinets after all after getting some advice and quotes.

• 6 years ago

I don't have a picture on me as I travelling, but the 4 inch granite continues onto the cabinet that "hugs" the stove and the fridge. So it is glued directly onto the wood in those pictures.

• 6 years ago

So, I don't get it. If you remove the 4" backsplash from the cabinet (still would make more sense to me with a picture), are you saying that you would just leave that area with nothing on it then? If so, why is there even a granite extension there in the first place, if there is no need of a backsplash?

Is this the sort of area that you have? If so, take off that granite! You can easily repair the wood.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/74/f1/d0/74f1d05961f179631e487454722783f5--glass-subway-tile-backsplash-grey-subway-tiles.jpg

• 6 years ago

I actually really like your cabinets (and your whole kitchen), so I am glad you are not painting them.

modernsunlight thanked smit2380
  • 6 years ago

Citymom - Do you like klyons kitchen picture?

• 6 years ago

chess, imagine that picture but with granite running up the side of the cabinet where the stove is. I don't know why it is there in the first place. I didn't design the kitchen!! :)

• 6 years ago

Thank you!!

• 6 years ago

citymom99, Your most welcome. Sometimes a visual helps.

Sorry, thought I hit the Submit button... on that first one, I accidentally left transparency on (while cutting out excess tile from your photo) so here it is a bit more realistic (the tile and grout would stand out more)

ETA: To compare with 'as is'

• 6 years ago

suzyq53, I would prefer it without the 4" extension.

• 6 years ago

citymom99 ,

"I don't know why it is there in the first place. I didn't design the kitchen!!"

LOL! Gotcha. So weird that they would have done that. I would still try to remove it.

• 6 years ago

I mean, it's not a felony. Here are some obviously NOT Joe DIYer granite lip and tile back splashes here on Houzz. They look great. If you don't want to go to the expense and inconvenience of removing it, then don't. It's not like the design police will come out with sirens blazing and put you away for life, or that your friends will come over and go "Whoa, what IS that tile in the kitchen all about?" They're there to visit you, not your back splash.

Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info

Cape Cod Beach House Remodel · More Info

Lennon-Kitchen · More Info

Ackerman Residence Sugarberry Cottage · More Info

Kitchen Remodel · More Info

• 6 years ago

LOL. No one is saying that it's a "felony". Obviously it is done, but I think it's usually done as an afterthought, after the extension is already there. I don't think most people put in both, as a plan.

• 6 years ago

I had no idea that a 4" granite backsplash was outdated - I'm gutting a house and getting ready to totally remodel, and am looking at granite countertops. I like how the backsplash looks - I'm looking at a blue pearl color type granite.

• 6 years ago

The kitchens that jenwen posted are great examples of how choosing either statement tile or all solid color tile will affect the look with the 4" granite. The solid tile makes the wall look painted but adds texture and helps reflect light. Which IMO isn't a bad thing..

Melissa- Just an FYI- I've had a 4" granite backsplash in a kitchen and the problem I had with it is that the painted wall above it would get splatters and I would end up with non-removable stains on it. It became a yrly job that I had to paint that area. I'm not that messy of a cook but it is amazing how stains appear on that area of the wall. If you are in love with the granite you choose, prefer not to do a tile backsplash and your budget allows you may consider running the granite all the way up rather than stopping at 4" height.

• 6 years ago

Agree with the above - the 4" is rarely enough, behind the stove, to prevent splashes and stains. As a result, a full backsplash tends to be preferred now. When I picked out my new counters, one of the first questions my fabricator asked was if I was going to do the 4" extension, as most of his clients opt to not do it, in favor of a different material for a full backsplash. Or some run the same material up the wall.

I had wallpaper behind my stove - and that stuff was 23 years old so you can just imagine the stains and yellowing. My 4" laminate extension was clean as a whistle.

• 6 years ago

I was thinking about a comparable colored tile - maybe glass, maybe a subway type tile - with white cabinets and trim. Whatever tile has to be inbetween the darker granite I like and the white of the cabinets - Ive seen a few things I like, but I just have to look at all of it together. I'm still in the yanking old insulation and drywall out of the house & figuring out where all the rooms are going to be!

• 6 years ago

Like this.

Classic White Perfectly Balanced by Creams and Blues · More Info

• 6 years ago

Melissa May, there is no 4" backsplash there, that is what the OP is asking about. This backsplash has a pencil tile border - it plays nicely off that dark counter. The tile is probably a tumbled or honed marble subway.

• 6 years ago

Chess - the 4" strip is builders/flippers basic with no more tile, it looks fine. Or certain configurements with lots of windows make it a good choice. When real people live there, they realize 4" is not usually enough as you said. The next step is to move beyond by removing and replacing the splash. Generally, when you tile above the lip, it seems like you cheaped out in terms of resale. So, if OP wants it, thats fine, its the same as if she didn't do anything else at all. So its just whether its worth it for the time she's in the house. Most splash is relatively cheap.

• 6 years ago

Not sure why people ask for advice then argue with it.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Double and ditto............ Hard to believe, but there is a "so so" way, and a best way to do virtually anything. Evidenced on these pages with the "how do I fix this" question barrage every day.

If one throws roadblocks in the path, alternate solutions may be possible, such as run the existing counter top right up the splash, and forget about glass tile. The cabinet issue will be solved, and the op will have a real back splash. It just won't be glass. But it will be good looking.Match the splash height on the cabinet side.

Or....... remove the splash at all BUT the cabinet side. Glass tile the rest. Either way, it either is a glass back splash, or a granite splash. And yes, it is best to pick one. Sorry.

• 6 years ago

citymom99, is this what you're describing?

• 6 years ago
    That is exactly what I'm describing! I really appreciate all the insight. Definitely making me rethink what us best to do here. Truth is we might be here for only a few years. We have no idea.
  • 6 years ago

I don't view this as such a decorating sin as others might. We had a kitchen facelift done 11 yrs. ago and I am perfectly fine with how this looks. It's not front and center and my eye is certainly not drawn to it when you look at the backsplash as a whole.

• 6 years ago

suzyq53, I know exactly what it is, and why it is, and is not, used. Did you mean to respond to someone else?

citymom99, that picture there shows the extension backs up to the tile backsplash - not backed up to a full 4" extension. In that case, it would be fine to remove it, BUT, that is right next to a range, and that is a better reason to leave it, in my opinion. Is yours next to your range? And does yours go all the way to the wall, or does it terminate into the back section of granite splash?

• 6 years ago

When we bought our '80s-built home, the side of the double oven cabinet was covered with a laminate piece. It extended the full height between counter top and upper cabinet and all the way to the counter'edge. It was huge and ugly. In a fit of disgust, I got my really thin crow bar and popped it off. There was very little evidence that it had been removed and that easily remedied. I realize that granite is heavier than laminate-covered 3/4" plywood, but since it is only 4" tall, it may have been installed with very little adhesive. I would at least ask a pro to come take a look.