SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julyguy754

Carpenter Ant Invasion

Michael Beery
6 years ago

I have been attempting to eradicate these little buggers since July 2017. I researched on the internet about DIY approaches without any success. I used the various concoctions of Borax mixed with jelly, honey, sugar, peanut butter with no success.

I then purchased some products on line: Advance Granular Carpenter Ant Bait & Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel. The ants hit the granular bait on two different occasions and watched them taking it back inside the floor board in my kitchen where I see them come out to forage each day. But it did not apparently kill the queen as advertised, since they are back. The gel did not ever get hit; they just ignored it the various time I put it out.

I contacted a pest company and the guy sprayed suspected dead trees in the small woods behind my house, and also around the foundation. He felt there was moisture around the area where my wood deck is attached to the house and said to caulk around the edges. I did that but they still keep coming into my kitchen from the same area- floor board on the same wall that meets the outside wall where the deck meets the house.

My feeling is that there as to be a nest in the wall as the ants come from there and deposit dead ant parts(usually heads) onto my floor. I read they clean their nest out that way.

My next idea is to use Diatomaceous Earth ( food grade) and blow it into the floor board and see if that works. If this doesn't work I guess I will have to call the pest company again, but he wanted to come out monthly and spray. I have heard that spraying won't work unless it kills the Queen, and read this could disrupt the nest and the Queen could move it. I am wondering if dusting with the DE would do the same thing.

If anyone has any tips or advice I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you,

Mike

Comments (9)