SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rrosmeryrr

New Built: Getting a 2 story foyer means smaller room, is it worth it.

rrosmeryrr
6 years ago
My husband and I are in the process of building a new home, we are currently in the early stages of making changes to the floor plan. The floor plan has 4 bedrooms and a nice size loft area, and this home will pretty much be our forever home so I want to make sure we really make this home what we always wanted. For as far as I can remember I have always loved the way a 2 story foyer opens up the entrance of a home and just the over all aesthetic of it. The floor plan as is does not have a 2 story foyer, and out of the 3 bedrooms for our kids (we currently have 2 kids but plan on having 3rd in the future) the biggest room 16x12 sits right on top of the foyer along with a 3ft deep x 8ft long closet. We saw the model home and although the floor plan is beautiful I am not impressed by the entrance which is a downer. If I change the floor plan to make way for a 2 story foyer, the feel of the entrance would be amazing, but the now biggest room 16x12 would become a 10x12 room with a 2ft deep x maybe 10ft long closet. Is a 12 x 10 too small of a room? will the 2 story foyer be worth this change? Has anyone done a similar change in their home, if so do you regret or love the change?

Comments (49)