SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirstenburmester

Subway ceramics hex unglazed porcelain tile?

I'm thinking about installing the 1" hex unglazed porcelain tile in Arctic White from subway ceramics in my main bathroom, and I've been reading a lot of conflicting advice about porcelain tile on these threads. I'm concerned about two slightly different things:

1) whether the tile can be permanently stained by spills, particularly (sorry) urine around the toilet (I have two small boys).

2) whether the tile starts to look dirty quickly because the rough surface of the tile attracts dirt.

On item #1, some of the advice seems to be either "installed unglazed hex and regret it hugely, because it always has dirty footprints on it and never really comes clean," or "what are you talking about, my unglazed hex cleans up easily.

On item #2, some of the advice seems to be "porcelain tile is very hard will not stain, although the grout will," and some of the advice seems to be "porcelain tile is porous and will stain - the tile itself, not just the grout."

I'm wondering if the difference between these two experiences is the quality of the unglazed tile? I took a look at the Daltile unglazed sample and it did seem rougher than the subway ceramics sample.

I understand that the tile needs to be sealed before the grout is installed and sealed again after the grout is installed, and possibly resealed annually thereafter. Anybody done this with Subway Ceramics unglazed porcelain and still been disappointed?

For what it's worth, this is our main bathroom (we don't have a master) and will get lots of use. I don't need everything to be spotless, but visible dirty footprints and urine stains will bother me.

Comments (2)