SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arielleeve

Cleaning grout haze from unglazed ceramic tile?

arielleeve
8 years ago

Our epically terrible contractor who installed our bathroom floor tile did a terrible clean-up job. The tiles are black mosaic hex tiles, made of unglazed ceramic. They have some light grayish colored staining on them which for a while we thought was paint that had dripped and not been properly wiped up, but after trying latex paint remover we are realizing it is more than likely grout haze (we used a charcoal colored grout that is slightly lighter than the tile). We've done some internet research and asked a few contractors but keep getting mixed recommendations about what to use to get the stains out. My concern is that we don't want to damage the tile, but since the tile is unglazed (we did not seal), the staining has penetrated the porous surface and needs something strong to remove it. I worry that an acid-based grout remover may stain or damage the tile and/or grout. The tile store we purchased from recommended "oil stain remover," but after googling that it seems it is a) meant for stone and b) meant for removing oil stains, so I am confused as to why this would be recommended.

Any ideas about what to use in this instance? I am really, really hoping that there will be a way to get these stains out.

Comments (3)