SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Your plant of the season

User
6 years ago

OK, I usually struggle with this sort of thing because my 'plant of the year' varies from moment to moment...but even to a dilettante flipperty-gibbet such as myself, one or two plants really appear to be outstanding. Whilst the scarlet alstroemerias have been rampantly gorgeous for months, the vivid flowerheads do not sit easily in a (small) perennial border (unless red is embraced, along with hot pinks and oranges)...but a plant which has been the subject of much attention since its inception is the large salvia 'Amistad'. I have a bit of a salvia thing anyway...but having a minuscule garden, I tended to grow the shrubby, long blooming greggiis and microphyllas, avoiding the large blues and hardy nemorosas...but Amistad, despite occupying the entire depth of border, has been stellar all summer. It will certainly be transferred to my late summer bed at the allotment where it can mingle with all those luscious golds, reds, bronze and magenta colours which dominate...and yet it also looked perfectly at ease with the softer pinks and lilacs around gaura, parahebe, geranium and even roses in my tiny home garden.

And, as with so many salvias, propagation is a breeze.

An honourable mention goes to a mere annual - consolida 'Imperial Purple', which, without even an attempt at deadheading or fuss, has been in bloom for 4 months, throwing endless axillary extras. Seed has been lovingly collected...so next year will indubitably be a purple one.

Comments (53)