SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

How important it is to vibe with your kitchen designer?

uscpsycho
6 years ago

After talking to a number of local custom cabinet builders and Euro cabinet companies I walked into a Wood Mode showroom on the recommendation of my dental hygienist.

I walked in with an 80% complete design from a previous cabinet company that I got cold feet about using because they weren't being totally honest. The KD at the Wood Mode showroom spent a lot of time fine tuning the design, pointing out possible problem areas, etc. etc. She has easily spent ten hours on this kitchen without asking for any money. Long story short, I can tell she really knows what she is doing and will not allow me to make a dumb mistake. I feel like if I use her I will minimize regrets (do you ever really have zero regrets with a kitchen?).

Problem is my kitchen is big, my tastes is modern/euro and this is going to be an expensive project working with her. Wood Mode was out of the question because of price. Even with Brookhaven to get the finishes I want would have been $60K+ before tax and installation. So we took out some pricey features, changed some finishes and knocked a littler over $10K off the price. But this is still like $15K more than a couple of the other bids I am considering from local builders (and that's without the "downgrades").

$15K is a lot of money but is it worth the peace of mind of knowing that you are in good hands, are getting a quality product and will have a good outcome? Plus getting the Wood Mode "limited" lifetime warranty, which may or may not be worth anything, I have read mixed reviews from people who went through the warranty process.

I may get just as good of a kitchen with one of the local guys I just have zero confidence in my ability to hire people for my house. I have tried to be super diligent about who I hire and have had countless problems because I made bad decisions. So I'm gun shy.

I know it is all relative, for some people money is no object and some people spend $15K on an entire kitchen. Is it crazy to go this direction just because I feel like I'm in better hands with this KD?

Comments (7)