SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazyjz1

Potting soil mix used when shipping AV's?

Jeff Zenner
6 years ago

I am going to ship a few plants to my sister in Minnesota. I have received more than one or two plants in the mail and from more than one or two sources. I have a pretty good idea how to go about this. I get the part where you wrap something soft around the base of the plant to hold the potting mix/plant in place. I get the plastic wrap that keeps the pot/plant/soil/foliage all together and protected. I get the insulated box.

This is the part Im not sure about.

Is it a good idea to use such a rich/peat based soil for shipping? I know that I don't want the plants to dry out during shipping. I don't want to kill them either with waaaay to much moisture.

Many of the plants that I receive from professional growers seem to be shipped in a potting soil that is not anywhere close to equal parts of the peat, perl and verm.

From my perspective, it seems like 75% peat, 15% perlite and 10% vermiculite. I can only assume that this is a "shipping only" mixture.

If you regularly ship plants (and I know a few of you out there who do) what do you do different with regard to the potting soil you use in your shipping containers than what your normal potting soil contains?

Comments (8)