SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Soil mixes for potted plumeria....what do you use?

Andrew Scott
12 years ago

I have been potting up rooted cuttings more frequently now. IT seems like almost every day for the past week and a half I have another cutting(or cuttings) that needs repotting.

One of the biggest lessons that I have learned since getting into plumerias last year, is the need to make a fast draining/drying mix.

Because I also grow potted citrus, I learned of Al's gritty mix, which when it comes to potted citrus is NECESSARY. Without it, I have lost every potted citrus I have potted up.

Trying to find some of the ingriedients can be challenging and also not cheap, but it works great for plumerias.

At my last count, I have 54 plumeria. Considering I didn't even own 20 last spring, my collection has more than doubled.

Bill has warned me a few times about how these are trees and there going to do nothing but grow larger. Right now my concern is the soil. For pots, it is easier for me to use black plastic nursery pots. I have found that most nurseries just throw there used pots away, and there still in great shape.

What I am asking is...What do you all use for soil mixes? For me, I like a mix that dries in 2 maybe 3 days.

I am hoping to find a mix that dries fast but wont cost a bundle to make.

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments (19)