SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_mtl

Question about Minneola Tangelo

Hi, I have a question for all of you who grow Minneola Tangelo. How do your fruits compare to store bought? Are they sweeter? I have bought some and they are a bit in the tart side from my point of view. Some people said that the home grow ones are way better.

One last question: does your tree bear consistently?

thank you

Comments (28)

• Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
    6 years ago

I have the trees but only had tiny fruits last spring. But very sweet. Got some minneolas from the store and they were really good. If mine will be like those, I will be more then happy.

• Silica
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Susan a very sweet tangelo??? A good tangelo should have a tart taste. One of its parents is grapefruit. If your looking to grow a sweet citrus variety, then the Minneola tangelo is not the variety to choose. If you want a very juicy refreshing fruit, then Minneola is your fruit.

• Related Discussions

Minneola Tangelo - very sour fruits

Q

Comments (1)
    They're a bit sour. I've gotten them in stores before and decided not to get a tree because they're too sour for me.
    ...See More

Minneola Tangelo Fruit Drop

Q

Comments (22)
    It can, Johnny, but last year even 4 sprayings did not take care of PLC. Plus, the copper dormant spray we have available these days in California is a fraction of the strength of previous copper sprays, which we can no longer get here in California, due to concerns with copper building up in the soil and water supply. So, I don't worry so much about the earthworms as I might have when I was using stronger stuff. You can see how you do with 2 sprayings, but I have such huge issues with PLC and just about every other fungal thing in my garden last year, it was really a struggle. I nearly lost many of my more exotic hibiscus, and my poor roses were pretty ugly there for a while. Not to mention many of my stone fruits. Patty S.
    ...See More

Minneola tangelo...can you help me find the rootstock?

Q

Comments (27)
    Still very sick. She does not have any energy at all to even talk today. She seemed fine yesterday but today she can not seem to eat anything. I don't like seeing her in that state. It upsets me..My father whom just got into the Nursing Home because he's loosing his mind wants to keep seeing her but I can't be taking him out so often. I can just do my best. I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers..If I seem a bit weird or sensitive lately it's not you guys, it's me...But I still need to come here to lift myself up seeing you all posting things I want and things I like to see))
    ...See More

Variegated Minneola tangelo

Q

Comments (18)
    The VM is the best tasting tangelo I've ever tasted. I have two trees. They are in containers and doing just fine. I will have to see what rootstock they are grafted onto, simply don't remember. ) I got the first one in a 5 gallon container 4 y.o. and it is in the same container doing okey, so far. I am planning to uppot it this year though. It produces 7 to 10 beautiful big and very tasty fruits every year. Stays compact not that vigorous. The other one I got later in a 10 gallon container and it is somewhat vigorous sending long shoots and bigger leaves. Fruits are the same in size and taste but produces more fruits. The pictures you see at just fruits website are mine. If you have an opportunity to get the VM, don't pass guys. You won't regret it. I am a happy owner of two. ))
    ...See More
  • nulesm
    6 years ago

Hi Amy I live in Ottawa and I have a very large Minneola in a pot and my tree produce's heavy every other year . A couple of winter's ago the tree was coated in very sweet and juicy fruit with the perfect amount of tartness , more sweet then tart much better than I could get in a grocery store . Last winter I had very few fruit on my Minneola tree and they were very blah tasting . This year the tree is coated again so hoping for another delicious crop . Amy I believe you already have a Sugar Belle tree it's supposed to be similar to the Minneola but much earlier and sweeter .

Brian

A few pic's of my Minneola's from the winter of 2015

From the tree to the table .

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh Brian, you do have a good memory :))) I already have a SugarBelle but it is really hard to resist once you see all the beautiful pictures of a minneola loaded with fruits!

There is a seller near me that have some dwarf minneola tangelo so I think that is my duty as a good citizen to help the economy right? :)))) The real reason is that for our nine years of marriage, my husband give me "carte blanche" to add another tree in my collection so I am doing some research.

When I were young, my parents used to buy very very good minneola with the right balance of sweet/tart but now, the ones from the store are so tart! I think that maybe they are pick too early now?

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

I have one but have not tasted the fruit yet...hopefully in a few months they'll be ready. Brian - what's up with your new user name?? Why did you change it? You had me all confused for a minute there...

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Lol Amy use that "carte blanche " your husband sounds like a real gem. You can't go wrong with the Minneola and you will be doing the economy a huge favor lol , I absolutely love your reasoning I think I've already used that one . Amy a Minneola is beautiful when coated with those beautiful bell shaped fruit as will your Sugar Belle . Amy is the tree your after from the same place you bought your Shiranui from ? Love the fact it's on a dwarf. Amy do you happen to know what rootstock our Shiranui is on ?

Lol Laura my phone had a small malfunction I lost my user name I had to get another. Glad to be back talking to all you nice folk .

Brian

Amy (montreal, canada) thanked nulesm
  • johnmerr
    6 years ago

The Minneola is one of the treasures of the world; it is available in markets in much of the world; and I, for one have never found the necessity of growing it.

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Brian, the shiranui are on cleopatra. How is yours doing? I just put mine indoor so he is in some kind of adaptation right now. I can believe what a bad summer we had! I didn t plan to put my trees indoor so soon but had really no choice... We just had a few days with really cold temperature (around 40F).

This year I am trying to grow all my trees in my new grow tent with a 1000w led. So far, the mango trees love it!! Lots of new growth. My variegated pink lemonade and my okitsu seem to love the new environment too. Sor far, all my citrus didn t have any wld yet. Brian, There is another seller that has a lot of different varieties! Since I already bought from floraexotica and greenspace this year, I am thinking that I could encourage another one. He carries some citrus, avocado, mango and litchi trees!! So far, my reflexion turns around:

- minneola tangelo/ ponkan??

- some kind of litchi but heard that they can produce inconsistently (at least in florida because they need some chilling hours)

- avocado tree but I think that I need two trees to have fruit. Some people said that I can get away with one because we are not in a tropical/ subtropical climate so the male/ female flowers will open at the same moment... hmm...

What is fun about this hobby is not only the catch but also the hunt because we can learn a lot of things with some research.

Hi John, we have the minneola available from time to time too but they are a bit expensive ( 3.99/lbs) and very sour. This is why I asked my question about store bought/home grow to see if there is a big difference. Also, here in the dead of winter, all we can see is a lot of snow and the night comes very fast. During that time, looking at a beautiful citrus tree with some fruits on it is like having a piece of sun and it helps warm my heart :)

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Hi Amy thanks so much for the info on the rootstock I just couldn't figure out the tag on my Shiranui if my life depended on it . Amy my tree is OK it was missing lot's of leaves showing a bit of decline fingers crossed hopefully it will come back nicely I do see signs of new growth starting . Amy all my tree's are still outside winter is way to long I figure even with the cooler temperatures they are still better to be outdoors . If the weather was in the 40's with rain for a long stretch of time then I would definitely think on bringing them in . I would love to see pics of your indoor setup it sounds great . Amy I have a litchi I've had it for many yrs and nothing no fruit yet and it's incredibly large . Mango is my second time out if a fail it will be my last . I think I will stick to citrus for now on they seem to be more forgiving of our climate. Amy you will have to give me a list of all the great nurseries in Montreal that carry citrus my sister in-law lives in Lasalle so when we go to visit I could check out some of these nurseries . I know Greenbarn carry citrus to . Thanks again for the info on the rootstock your a wealth of knowledge.

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Brian, the place I was talking about in my post is called brugmansia-quebec.com

The owner is very active on facebook and he usually post his new arrival on it. You can visit his nursery but have to get an appointment first. Brian, next time, you come to montreal, I can give you one of my seedling kaffir lime! If you like asian cuisine, the kaffir lime is a must! I bought a kaffir lime last month and decide to sew a few seeds using the paper towel technique and now I have around ten baby plants. I would love to find a new home for a few of them.

So here are some pictures of my new setup.

with the grow light on

New shot on my mango

Well, I have to admit that everytime I am about to opey grow tent the song "welcome to the jungle" the play in my head

So far, all my trees love it in there. The average temperature is around 80F during the day and 70F at night. The humidity is around 70%. No leaves drop yet and lits of new growth on all my trees!

• nulesm
    6 years ago

OMG Amy what a set up you have your tree's will love it in there with those conditions, I would love it in there . Thankyou soooooo much for your very kind offer with the Kaffir lime so kind of you but I already have one actually there is not to much I don't have lol. Amy that link bad news for me there are so many varieties I would love to get my hands on I guess the credit card will have to come out of hiding lol. Things have come along way in Canada no more just lemons and limes. Amy absolutely love your new setup and love this new website thankyou . Oh did you purchase your Minneola yet ?

Thanks again

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh Brian, I didn t get the minneola yet. Still try to make my mind so, yesterday, I browsed very innocently greenscape website. (Need to keep on touch with the actuality you see) What did I discover? Well, David just put some new packages to buy. There is one package call uber or something and you can pick 4 trees or more and the price is amazing!!

Yes, Brian, I feel very thankful to David/Perry and every seller who are willing to risk a lot to bring inusual varieties here. Not sure if my bank account feel the same...hummm

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Hi Amy I was innocently looking at David 's site greenscape this afternoon to lol funny you mention that and he has some amazing packages, I love the theme's and love the names of the packages he has a great sense of humor great job David . Yes David's tree's are on sale . Your so right Amy we cannot thank these seller's enough . Minneola Minneola

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh and Peery has only one SugarBelle left :)))))

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Bad girl now I won't sleep tonight the walls are going to take a beating for sure. Oh Amy a smaller version of your set up lol

Insulation for the wooden frame of my greenhouse you wouldn't believe the light and heat that was reflected off these sheets . I wonder if I should line the whole fence with these sheets next summer ? :)

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good day Brian, hope that you slept well with all the banging!!

Beautiful trees! Why do you have to insulate your greenhouse this year? Is it something you have to do each fall? I am asking because a greenhouse is something I really really wish to build in the future. What are the maintenances you should do after you build it? Do you need to add some artificial light?

Brian, may I ask you which one of your mandarine/orange is your best producer?

thank you

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago

Innocently looking - priceless explanation, Brian! I did exactly the same thing yesterday, looking at those packages, the major deterrent for me is not having enough space. Amy, you definitely have the citrus bug in your system :))

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Good morning Amy and yes I slept horrible and the wall in my bedroom needs new drywall lol :) Amy this is a new Greenhouse we had built last yr and it sits on a wooden frame, well it was finished just 1 day before a major frost so we never had time to insulate the wood base on the inside of the GH because of all the plants in the way . It's a one shot deal once it's up its over and it's easy to do . Amy you should have seen the ice on the inside wood last winter and inches away from my pots . I almost lost my Meyer do to this . Here is a pic of the wood not the best pic taken in the spring

Sunshine lol I am now out of space to well I think lol.

Brian

• Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
    6 years ago

Just found a seed in my minneola. Ate so many but this is the first. So plump and round. Yup, stuck in soil as I want to see whats coming out ;)

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Lol Susanne you just cracked me up thankyou . It reminded me of a seed with a root already on it from a bearss lime floating in my rum and coke yesterday lol I planted it .

Sunshine what do you think of all the citrus tree's for sale on Amy's link above? A nursery I believe located in Montreal . Pure candy in a candy store :) . I cannot believe all the choices this year . I hear you though Sunshine I am running or just ran out of room myself.

Brian

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago

Brian, my head is spinning :)) sooo tempting!

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, now, tell me more about what you all find so tempting? I am such a follower with no will at all!!

Like Confusius said: knowing our weakness is a good start!

Brian, I hope that next year we will get a great selection too. I still have a wishlist to fulfill.

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Isn't it great Sunshine !! Remember we have no more room , right lol.

Amy if I had the room there are at least 3 different mandarins I wouldn't mind getting. Then the Orlando looks interesting then all those interesting varieties of limes and then and then and then . . Amy your going to have to take some responsibility for us all heading to the poor house you just opened a major can of worms with this new link. Amy I hope that you have a great night .

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Brian, do you have any grapefruit/pomelo in your collection? If yes, are the fruit good? do the trees produce a lot??

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Hi Amy I have a pomelo and it had only one fruit on it and it wasn't bad , it tasted like a white grapefruit although I sprinkled Sugar on it which enhanced the flavor. I have a small grapefruit tree no fruit yet . Let me guess Amy a Valentine pomelo from greenscape lol.

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh yes!!! And maybe in a far far away future a cocktail grapefruit if I can find it.

here is what figure in my dream lately: valentine, pixie, leexnova, xie shan, Minneola and daisy/murcott.

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Oh my Amy your a citrus shark . You sure want the best you've really done your homework. A couple of years ago I would have laughed at that list now it seems that anything is possible. They are all great choices but honestly I think that you already have the best . Hope I spelled this right I think Phoenix perennials out of British Columbia have the cocktail grapefruit that your looking for and I've heard nothing but good comments on his tree's. Sleep tight don't let the citrus bug bite .

Brian