SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moliep

Dying wild Black Mulberry tree

moliep
6 years ago

The wild black mulberry tree at the end of our yard started out as a bush many, many years ago before we moved in, according to our neighbor. It's now dying but we're not sure why. My dh thinks it's due to a fungus of some sort. Our neighbor has a cherry tree and it's pretty much dead. Here's his tree.

And this is ours as behind the garden shed.

This year the tree looked full in the spring but has since has sent out many large leaves at the end of all the branches that are dying. Its last gasp, I'm thinking.

Most of the branches are bare and the fruit is still hanging on the tree... never ripened.

Here are some closeups of the leaves.

Because our property ends at a tidal river that leads into the Sound, we would never spray. Our worry is that whatever caused this might also spread to our Betula nigra 'Cully', Acer griseum or Pinus sylvestris 'Inverleith' that we planted in the back yard. We are suspicious because our neighbor on the other side is losing this very tall pine.

Perhaps all this death of trees in our area is due to the fact that we live along a windy river where spores or disease can travel? Maybe it's due to the normal life span of this tree? I'm just guessing here.

We figure that the mulberry will end up getting cut down. We'd love to plant another tree at the end of the patio area in front of the mulberry. That tree provided great feasting for the birds when the berries ripened and great shade for us. We'd sit down there in the afternoons ... watching the river ... drinking wine ... enjoying the wildlife along the river.

Thanks for any ideas,

Molie

Comments (8)