SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pmcatnip

Young contorted mulberry is dying??

pmcatnip
9 years ago

Hello everybody, I am new here and impressed with the amount if knowledge you all have. So I am hoping someone may know what is going on with my contorted mulberry that is dying. I live in the Willamette Valley, Oregon in zone 7 and we have had a very warm dry summer.

It is a young tree planted here spring of 2013 and was doing fine until sometime last week while we were on vacation and came back to find half the leaves black and dead. I am not sure if I can save it and if I should be concerned about the problem spreading.

I planted two contorted mulberry trees at the same time in a large raised bed filled with mushroom compost garden blend. I planted strawberries in the same bed as an understory. At the time we were free ranging our chickens and they took an affinity to dust bathing at the base of one of these trees and despite my best efforts to protect the planting hole they kept digging there so this tree became slightly tilted. I took care of the chicken problem and this spring and summer both of the mulberries have been growing like crazy. Very lush, green, and healthy. A few weeks ago I noticed that this tree had tilted over even more to a very crazy angle. It felt wiggly like the roots weren't very well anchored. So I put in two stakes and a bunch or string to hold it up straight (making sure the string was spaced out to not pinch the trunk) and put extra compost around it. I started giving it extra water about two times a week, just letting the hose run on it for a few minutes to get a good deep watering.

It was fine when we left last Saturday for vacation and we had someone water the garden for us while we were away. We came home yesterday and found half the leaves on this one dead. This morning I looked again and there are even more leaves starting to die just in the last 24 hours. If it continues this way there will be no leaves left in a week since it is still a young tree. The leaves turn black and curl starting from the tip, and the older leaves were the first to go. The new growth at the tips looks ok for now. It does not resemble fungal or bacterial spot, it is the whole leaf. The branches look ok and are not turning black. The other mulberry that I planted at the same time is doing fine, still lush and healthy.

Did I damage the roots by tilting the tree back up, even though it felt like it wasn't rooted in very well to begin with? Am I overwatering it? Is it sick? Do I need to be concerned about the condition spreading to the other mulberry?

Thank you for any advice!

Comments (4)