SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brainzz18

San Marzano Redorta was tops for me this season

As I am sure some of you have read, this was my first year/time growing heirlooms. The San Marzano Redorta(Marianna's Seeds) did the best of the kinds I tried here in central Wisconsin. I would call it a medium yield, maybe 15-25 per plant. Maybe 4 had Ber. No other issues. It is cooling off here now and they have all slowed way down, don't think all will finish. That being said, it is a vigorous plant, grew to around 7ft. Very happy to have discovered and tried heirlooms in general.

Of the 4 kinds that I tried, the Mama Leone(Tomato Growers Supply) was a flop...but with a caveat. I would say that 75% of the tomatoes on these 5 plants got blossom end rot. Have never seen anything like it. Used cal-mag plus, bone meal...they had calcium up the wazoo. In the end, the 5 plants produced about 20 tomatoes in total, combined. The strain is just not for me...but I will say that they are to date, the best tasting tomato I have had. Very sweet, with a "tang" to it. Delicious, and I really don't even care for raw tomato unless it is topping a burger.

Costoluto Genovese (Reimer Seed)was hearty, and produced more tomatoes than the others. About the size of a tangerine. Had some BER, but only a dozen or so. Didn't get very big, maybe 3 1/2 ft tall. Set blossoms like mad, but we had a mini drought and the top ones dried up. I would/will plant this again. Combined with the San Marzano...our sauce this year is excellent.

Pompeii(Reimer Seed) germinated well, as did all the rest, no problems there at all. The problem was the seedlings were very weak and spindly. Of the 10 planted, all died. This plant for me, is all done. I will try something else with the space.

Here are a couple pictures of ripe Redortas. It sure doesn't take long to fill a jar when the tomatoes are a half pint each. I am a fan, :)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm