SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ikea_gw

Love San Marzano Redorta

ikea_gw
11 years ago

There have been a lot of questions about what is the best paste tomato on this forum and I thought I'd share my impression of San Marzano Redorta. This is the first year growing it for me so don't take this as a long term evaluation but so far I am loving this tomato.

Each plant got its own 24 inch diameter cage and I didn't prune them except for taking off diseased leaves. They have been extremely vigorous growers (approaching 7 ft right now) and shows good resistance to early blight. I don't spray and I garden in a community garden so I get that every year. The spread is much slower on San Marzano Redorta than other heirloom tomatoes I grow.

Fruit set was excellent until the heat and the drought set in a month ago. 40-50 fruits per plant which isn't all that unusual for paste type tomatoes but most fruits are 8 oz and over. Easy to peel and at this size fewer to peel as well for sauce. A small amount of BER during the drought.

The fruits are a great balance of sweetness, tanginess, and oddly salt. The flesh is firm but juicy, and there are not many seeds. It is great for sauce but to my surprise it is a very good fresh eating tomato as well. Haven't made salsa with it but I suspect it will make a rocking one.

In the past I've grown Opalka, Viva Italia, regular Roma, Hungarian Heart, and Amish Paste for my sauce needs but I have to say right now I am planning on growing only SMR next year in the paste category.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH