SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trinacria_gw

San Marzano Tomato a Love & Hate Relationship

Trinacria
7 years ago

So maybe others have encountered this love & hate relationship with San Marzano Tomatoes. This year I decided to grow some SM tomatoes from seed. I had strayed from the variety for a few years, just to try different varieties. This year I grew a mix of Green Giant, Mortgage Lifter, Florida Wild Cherry, SM, and a Pink Henderson / Sicilian Rossa cross on it's second generation. It's been a great season and all plants have produced well, I am located in Middle Tennessee. Here's the deal with the SM. It started of the season transplanted into the garden looking sickly, thin, and not much foliage. It continued to grow this way, never showing any signs of disease. SM was the first to bear fruit, however, as with most paste tomatoes most of those showed signs of Blossom End Rot. This mostly subsided throughout the season. However, even with the BER, SM was the most productive plant other than the Florida Wild Cherry, which honesty was out of control. My Green Giant, Mortgage Lifter, & Rossa Cross are pushing 8ft. great foliage and producing moderate fruit, on the other hand the SM is spindly not much foliage and has had great production. BER is always a downfall. I know some don't care for SM, but I think it is a great paste tomato and makes a fantastic sauce. I guess I grow for taste and fruit production, so it's a keeper. But I must say, it's tough to look at a tomato plant that looks so weak and spindle in comparison to my other varieties. Any thoughts, anyone else experience this in growing San Marzano?

Comments (3)