SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prachi_gw

What is your experience growing San Marzano Redorta ?

Prachi
10 years ago

I am trying San Marzano for the first time and I am getting a bit frustrated.

I started these from seed around March- April and they were in the ground outside by Memorial day. (Under floating row cover if it was a cold night or tooo much rain). I grow these in raised beds filled with compost and peat moss over my inherently sandy soil.

These plants seem like such slow pokes... first the seeds were hard to germinate (2-3 good seedlings out of 12 seeds) then they were slow to grow fruit... now I have several large fruits for a few weeks now and they aren't turning red. I picked a few green to ripen them indoors and they take FOREVER to turn red (I am talking at least 2 weeks if not more). I even picked one when it was just turning red and it was almost as though it stopped turning red in protest. Then they are developing cracked shoulders which get larger if I bring them inside. Now the nights are starting plumet here in Zone 6b... they are not below 40F yet but they are starting to approach it. So I have completely wasted the entire season on this plant and have one half ripe tomato to show for it.

Uggg... it is almost as though the plant is screaming ... DON"T GROW ME. Next year I want to try Opalka's for canning/paste or I even found some Roma seeds. But can anyone pin point what I've done wrong? Is it the seeds? the strain? Thanks.

Comments (10)