SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coltranem

BER on my San Marzano Redorta's

Hi Everyone,

I have been growing San Marzano's for years and have usually done very well. This year I used seed I had bought the previous year. I usually use seed over two years for tomatoes then replace. The seeds germinated well but they grew up fairly spindly. I have them under a nice LED lamps to the light levels were ok. I suspect I have a fungus in my potting mix. Needless to say The plants did grow up to be a 1-2 foot tall indoors and then I moved them outdoors. I planted them as deep as their size would let me. I also sprinkled some crushed egg shells into the soil before planting. IN the past by this point the plants would be 5' tall. The stand around 3'. I usually pinch off sucker but this year I experimented with not doing that. That being said there haven't been a lot of suckers. The plants are producing fruit but they are growing slowly and when they get an 1.5" long the BER starts. We have been having a drought up here in the NorthEast so I have been hand watering a lot. Is it possible I just never kept up. It doesn't look like I am going to get much tomatoes at all. Is there anything I can do to salvage my season? I have cherry tomatoes in the same bed with the same general practices (granted those plants were bigger when they went int the ground) and they are doing fine.

PS the leaves are still green with very little discoloration even next to the ground.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012