SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tusharriv

Purple Redbud Dead on Delivery?

tusharriv
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone. We purchased a purple redbud and had it installed on July 1. We are in central Indiana. The nursery we purchased it from did the installation. Overall, the tree looked healthy enough when we purchased it even though it didn't have that many leaves for how large it was. We purchased an elm at the same time that is doing great. The redbud quickly deteriorated. I attempted to keep the moisture levels proper and knew it would be dealing with transplant shock issues, but it all went so fast. About August 15 or so, it looks very dead. The leaves have all shriveled up, and many have fallen off. It looks like it is in the middle of winter. I did a scrape test in a few places, and underneath it feels slightly moist with a slight purple twinge of color. There are a few places on the trunk where bark has fallen off. The nursery will not accept any responsibility for this saying that I probably overwatered the tree (even though I followed their guidelines). So, is this something I did with watering? Was the tree sick when it was delivered? Was it not planted properly (I contend that it was planted too low in heavy clay soil), or is it just bad luck? Is there a chance that this tree could bounce back in the Spring magically, or should I move on at this point? Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (3)