SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Altering a V neck blouse to make it less plunging?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I ordered a sleeveless blouse which I like the style and colors of except the neckline comes to a deep V. I’m too modest for this, not to mention I could never bend over. It has a lightly ruffled floaty collar that goes all
around the neckline, about 3 inches in width.

The usual way I’ve handled this is to pull the 2 bottom ends of the V together and secure them with a little hand stitching. This does not look that attractive on this one, though. It affects the drape and angle of the neckline.

The other way I’ve handled it on sleeveless blouses is to take in the shoulder seams, effectively pulling the whole blouse up an inch. The armholes are also too deep, especially at the back of the armholes, showing a couple of inches of my bra: and that would effectively take care of those deep armholes too.

But that would mess up the ruffled collar, which floats free all around, and is only attached at the neckline, not into the shoulder seams. I could detach the collar at the shoulder seams and back, sew the shoulder seams, then take a section of collar out at the center back to allow for the shorter length, and re-attach, but now this is getting really complicated.

How would you handle this issue? I wonder if there is a solution I am overlooking. I could sew something into the V, but what? Anything I’d add would look added in because it wouldn’t match.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions