SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greasetrap_gw

How to clean a sink overflow drain

greasetrap
6 years ago

I have a sink where there is a brief terrible smell whenever the water is turned on, and it was driving me crazy trying to figure out what the problem was. Finally I mentioned it to a plumber who was working at my house, and he thought it was probably the overflow drain. Basically whenever water starts going down the drain, it initially pushes a bit of air up the overflow drain. If the drain is moldy, then it pushes that smell up into the nose of anyone standing over the sink.

The plumber's suggestion was to fill the sink with warm water & bleach, then keep the water running slowly and let the mixture run down the overflow drain for about 15 - 20 min. I tried this and it worked perfectly - for about a day and a half. Now the smell is back, but I'm a bit hesitant to try the bleach trick too many times, as I have a septic system.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might clean the drain line? I have no objections to using a bit of bleach, but I don't want to use so much that it might harm my septic system.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (3)