SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amelia_cason

Built-in Media Center "Hack" - Ikea?

A O
6 years ago

I bought a new house and it has a 1970s era media center in the family room. It fits the old tube TV, with no place to mount a flatscreen and looks very dated. I spoke to a few contractors about gutting it and building a custom media center - was quoted $6-$8K. I then asked about doing something semi-custom, with Ikea or some other pre-made shelves, cabinets. They all said "sure! Just get me the specs." And this seems to be the hard part.

I've seen all kinds of Ikea hacks and blogs where people talk about turning etageres into semi-custom media center, but I can't find anything that will help me on specifics. I contacted Modsy and Havenly to see if they could design it - no. I contacted ELFA (the Container Store) and they weren't very helpful. I worry I might spend hours trying to figure out the plan with Ikea stuff (2 Billy bookcases? 4 etc) and then still make a mistake. I'm thinking bookshelves to left of the window, the right be the mounted TV plus a narrow bookshelf, cabinets on bottom.

Any ideas someone who could create a plan for pre-made cabinets that a contractor could easily implement? I would like a media center more like this.

Comments (4)