SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Aaaaahhhh! the Bees! Not the Bees!

bob_cville
6 years ago

I was mowing today with our new tractor, and unwittingly drove over a yellowjacket nest in the ground.

I had backed up and stopped getting ready to pull forward for another pass and felt something hit my arm, and then my neck, and then my wrist, and then I finally noticed that I was surrounded by a swarm of angry yellowjackets, and I wasn't being "hit" I was being stung.

I backed-up as fast as I could and ended up stalling the tractor. So I jumped off and ran. As I ran I felt a sting on my head and felt another one inside my shirt. It was at least 6 stings maybe more. I've used a benedryl-based cream and a lidocaine lotion but some of the stings are itching, some are swelling, some are throbbing, and some are all three.

I'm usually a live-and -let-live kind of guy, but those yellowjackets are going to die.

Comments (58)

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    6 years ago

I only found out I was allergic to bees a few years ago, was lucky to only be stung by one bee so we had time to get me to the ER - no epipen at home as I had no clue I was allergic until then.

The mister and I relocated to Nebraska and I've seen gigantic black wasp-like things a couple times...I'm hoping they aren't an allergy risk for me. :/

• jemdandy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yellow Jackets can be nasty. Usually they do not attack unless threatened. Smash or injure one those little devils and a pheromone get released that incites all the other guard yellow jackets to come out to attack, and the sting fest begins.

Two yeas ago, I accidentally stepped on a yellow jacket's nest in my back yard. I got stung about 10 places and had swelling reaction. I normally don't bother Mother Nature if it leaves me alone, but these had to go since guests and myself do amble about in this yard.

To eradicate, wait until after dusk or dark when the entire hive has gone to bed for the night, and then spray the insecticide down into the nest and scramble away.

• Related Discussions

Bees, bees, bees!

Q

Comments (12)
    Well, yuck, that's one of my least favorite things to find dead in the garden. My latest sighting was the first leaf-footed bug of the season. It wasn't in my garden. It was on the native plum fruit. I reached out with a pair of scissors to cut it in half, but it saw them coming and quickly fell into the tall grass in the pasture next door, as our plum trees grow right along the fence line. Maybe I'll get that leaf-footed bug another day, hopefully before it moves to the tomato plants. We haven't had all that many garden pests yet, and a lot of the ones that prey specifically on cool-season crops never showed up. Caterpillars are really starting to show up now, and the number of baby grasshoppers is scary. The big thing I'm seeing tons of is spider mites, both in the fields and in the garden. I gues one reason there's so many in the garden is because the fields are full of them. I saw some vetch plants underneath the native plums that are totally bleached out in color already due to the spider mites. I guess we can blame all the early heat for the really robust herd of spider mites everywhere. I had noticed spider mites on the bush bean plants, but the bush beans have been producing forever and are slowing down now so I'm thinking of yanking them out before the spider mites can spread and find the pole beans and southern peas.
    ...See More

Territorial bee chasing all other bees away

Q

Comments (1)
    Wool carder bees are known to do that. (We have them here in Portland, Oregon.) No, you shouldn't be concerned.
    ...See More

Korean Evodia (Bee Bee) Tree

Q

Comments (0)
    ...See More

Growing Korean Evodia Bee Bee Trees

Q

Comments (4)
    I supposedly have one in my yard, but for years I have thought the nursery shipped the wrong tree. The leaves make it appear to be the correct tree, but the bark is more striped than the smooth gray it should be. It has never flowered from what I can tell, and I have over the years on weekly occasions gone out to check the tree for flowers because many years I would all of a sudden see small round seed pods or the like on the tree?? None of it has ever added up except for the leaves. It is a nice-looking, probably 15' or more tree, but I wanted it specifically for the flowers since I have a heptacodium on the other side of the yard and thought they would complement each other with late flowers for the bees. The other odd thing about the tree is that it has very shallow and extremely yellow roots. I see your seedling does not have yellow roots. So between the bark and the roots, I don't think at the very least is it daniellii that I have. Your seedlings look terrific and I hope you enjoy many of these trees for years to come!!!
    ...See More
  • aok27502
    6 years ago

Ugh, yellow jackets are the worst! Those suckers HURT!! I work outside, and a few years ago we were raking a flower bed. I unearthed a nest, and didn't realize it until they were swarming. A couple got inside my long pants, and I had 5-6 stings on my legs. I usually get stung once or twice in a season, but that was the worst. My boss once got them inside his coveralls, and had over 30 stings. He was buzzing from adrenaline and venom.

I vote to bypass the insecticide and go straight for the flame thrower.

6 years ago

I totally second the flame thrower option, ok more like the flame thrower necessity!

• OklaMoni
    6 years ago

straight vinegar works, also straight bleach, and to get the swelling down, a nice slice of onion... kind of like what you cut for onion rings and keep it on the swollen body part.

Yellow jackets, use an insecticide spray, or straight gasoline, in the evening when they are most all in the nest!

I had the same problem once, but with the push mower. Hurtful buggers!

• wanda_va
    6 years ago

I can sympathize! I disturbed a nest a couple of weeks ago...and got 7 stings for my sin. Benadryl helped, but those suckers really hurt. You should raid their home at night--spray the heck out of the nest. Good luck!

• Marcy
    6 years ago

Yellowjackets are mean and aggressive. I'm glad it wasn't worse!!

• nicole___
    6 years ago

Years ago, I was standing on the neighbors railroad tie while cutting tree branches hanging over onto our property.....and....my ankle got it about 20 times.

Bug killer for ALL yellowjackets! :0)

• bob_cville
    Original Author
    6 years ago

As a kid we were in Pennsylvania and we went with our mother to a rummage sale. They didn't have much that a kid would be interested in, so my two brother and I and two other boys whose mom was shopping went outside to play. At one point we all were walking along a telephone pole on the ground separating the parking lot from the lawn, and the pole rolled to the side and an angry swarm boiled out. I was last in the line of 5 boys, so I saw the others swinging their arms, and heard them shouting, so I ran before they got to me. I ran to the car, jumped in, closed the door, and then locked all of the doors. My brothers ran over, and were pounding on the car window shouting for me to let them in. I responded "No Way! You have bees all over you!" which to me seemed a quite reasonable response. They felt differently.

• sjerin
    6 years ago

So sorry to hear of your stings, Bob. Feel better soon!

Jean, your reaction may be even worse if there's a next time, so keep your Epipen handy!

• Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

Hope you are feeling better now.

I haven't seen yellowjackets for several years. I believe my dad's remedy involved gasoline and a match.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

Rather than set my landscaping on fire, I found an easier nest eradicator ;0)

If you've ever looked at a diagram of an underground nest, you'd see the opening in the ground is not the opening of the nest which is more protected and harder to reach.

I rarely use a chemical in my gardens, but bought some Sevin powder that I don't keep because it's detrimental to bees. Detrimental in this case was just what I wanted ;0)

Two years ago we had three ground nests on our one acre. One was on the hill in back where it was bothering no one, I let it go. The other two, outside the garden shed and along my circular drive were going to become a safety hazard. I put about 1/4 cup of the Sevin into a disposable glass, went out after dark with a flashlight and dumped it right on the opening. The yellow jackets had to land in it coming and going, picked up some of the dust on themselves and carried it down into the nest. It took about 48 hours and all were gone, where I then took a hose and washed away the remaining powder so nothing else would come into contact with it.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

Bob, how are you today?

Did you know that you can take Claritin for insect stings instead of the sleep inducing Benadryl? Most of the oral antihistamines will do the trick, as a matter of fact. I mention Claritin because it's the one I choose to take since it won't make me drowsy.

How do you feel about chemical pesticides? I don't and won't use them at all other than for yellow jacket nests in a dangerous location. In a warm climate, yellow jackets build huge, multi-layered underground nests with multiple queens. These nests can have hundreds of thousands of members and may be used over several years.

I was responsible for a land clearing project in SCarolina one summer. My bushhog operator noticed a lot of activity ahead of his machine, turned the engine off and ran away. All I could see was a large mound above ground swarming with the insects. We had no idea that the nest was several feet deep into the sandy soil.

Bob, I called a friend of mine, a bee keeper by profession, but very knowledgeable about problem species, too. I knew that he would have the smartest, safest, and most environmentally responsible suggestion.

He even volunteered to come out to the property that night to help dispatch the monster nest. He had a bee suit....so we let him, lol!

We used a liquid form of Carbaryl (Sevin), which is one of the most deadly pesticides for bees, wasps, hornets, etc. It's readily available at any garden supply outlet.

He used a simple pump sprayer and adjusted the nozzle to a stream. There were no insects to be seen when he approached and none came out after he had emptied about a pint of the diluted pesticide into the mound.

It wasn't until the next morning that I learned how yellow jackets build their nests! They are constructed of a paper substance in a honeycomb configuration. The tiny hexagonal cells contain the larvae.

Because the nests are paper, they are very porous, making them absorbent to any pesticide. The entire population was dead in the morning and we were able to dissect the nest, finding at least five queens. Over the course of the summer, we found three more such meganests.

My recommendation to you, Bob, is that you use a Carbaryl liquid and apply a small drench to the nest at night. You will need less than you think. Not gasoline.

Yellow jackets perform a useful service in my yard and gardens, patrolling for caterpillars and sawfly larvae. I'd never get rid of a nest that didn't pose a real danger.

• chisue
    6 years ago

So much venom in such tiny packages! I push-mowed over an in-ground nest decades ago, but I remember the long-lasting pain from bites on my ankles. I kept looking to reassure myself that they hadn't left stingers IN me.

Hope you are feeling better, Bob. It's probably going to take days. I don't suppose you've gotten any sympathy from your brothers, eh?

Adding: Would Lidocaine help with the pain? I've just started using a roll-on Aspercreme for back pain. Numbs in about ten minutes.

• wanda_va
    6 years ago

Chisue, Lidocaine helped me with the pain. I had some Lidocaine cream leftover from my recent bout with shingles, and I used that.

I read that Yellow Jackets "mark" the aggressor, and I truly believe that. When I was under attack, Stan was sitting on the back porch. Several of the yellow jackets flew around him and a couple landed on his arm--but they didn't sting him! They only wanted me!

6 years ago

Omg, @rhizo, the mister came in and immediately asked what happened/who died/do I need to get you to the ER just now because of the horrified expression on my face reading about giant underground nests etc etc.

I'll be ducking/flinching/possibly running anytime I hear anything that sounds like a flying insect buzz!

• caroline94535
    6 years ago

Bob, hope you're feeling better. I put this on another thread, but I thought I'd add the info here, too.

I seem to have more of the bald-faced hornets than I do yellow jackets right now. The hornets are being too active and excitable so I set out a wasp trap for them.

The very best attractant bait for them, and the yellow jackets, is hummingbird syrup mixed with grape jelly. It draws them in far quicker than the stinky chemical bait that comes with the traps.

Surprisingly, the honeybees and bumblebees don't visit the traps.

Bald Faced Hornets

• DawnInCal
    6 years ago

*shudder*

• bob_cville
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just about 10 minutes ago, I returned from a picnic and stopped along the driveway near the nest location. I brought a can of Spectracide foaming yellowjacket killer. I stood about 12 feet from the hole, and in the waning light could see dozens and dozens of them returning to the nest for the night. Finally after about 10 minutes of patiently standing there, I saw no more returning for about 30 seconds, so I crept closer to about 6 feet away, and let loose a stream of death. It filled the opening with foam keeping them from getting out, and I kept spraying for about 30 seconds drenching the opening to their nest until I saw something fly in front of me, and then I took off running back to the car.

The stings still hurt, and itch and have a fair bit of swelling. I found that the anti-itch cream I was using was cortisone-based rather than benedryl-based, so I took a benedryl capsule last night before bed. I've also used Ibuprofin, ice, and a lanocaine ointment. They all help some, but the stings are still bothering me.

• drewsmaga
    6 years ago

This is a PSA of sorts. I got stung by a yellow jacket, on my wrist just past my garden glove. I ended up with a staph infection, with swelling from mid-hand to almost my shoulder. Antibiotics took care of it, thank goodness. You can get a staph infection from any sting/puncture wound to your skin.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

Oh bob - I sure hope you're feeling better soon. For my sting my doctor did give me some cortisone - I used it really, really lightly just once and it took care of the itchiness. But 11 days later it's still red and swollen.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

We always use black salve as we called it. It's great for stings and stops the worst of the pain within a minute or so. Still available in pharmacies, or amazon the real name is Ichthammol ointment. Put a dab on the sting then a bandaid. Works great.

Another remedy I haven't tried is MSG. Found in Adolphs meat tenderizer. If they still make it.

• aok27502
    6 years ago

Bob, I'm glad you unleashed the weapons on them. And I hope the single one still flying around a) tries to get into the nest through the foam, b) dies from loneliness or c) learns his lesson. Preferrably a).

Annie, thanks for the tip about black salve. I have some of that tar-in-a-tube, I'll try to remember it next time I get perforated.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

Annie, it's the papain in the meat tenderizer that neutralizes the proteins in the venom, not the MSG. One needs to read the ingredients to make sure that the product contains papain. This is only effective when used promptly after the incident, however. I keep it on hand for fire ant stings and mosquito bites. And cheap sirloin steak, lol.

This should remind us all that the first thing we should do after a meeting with a stinging or biting insect is to wash the area with warm soapy water. THEN treat it with your topical medicine of choice. Alcohol wipes are an excellent emergency product to have on hand.

• dandyrandylou
    6 years ago

Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but an encounter with stinging insects can be almost immediately stopped with fresh aloe. My son got into a nest of wasps on our rooftop and was stung on both inner thighs. I immediately tore off a strip of aloe, opened it and slathered the juice on his wounds, and in no time he was completely relieved.

6 years ago

The thing about aloe is that it has to be fresh off the plant to really provide any benefits - synthetics and products with aloe & aloe derivatives aren't nearly as helpful as mfgs want us to believe.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

It's a long shot, but son swears vinegar helped alleviate the pain from his last wasp sting. Same thing we use on jellyfish stings, and so does everyone else (it's what is in a lifeguard's spray bottle). Not sure if it was placebo or not (since it does work on jellyfish stings), but can't hurt to try! Best wishes for fast healing.

Scientifically backed solution for jellyfish

• janey_alabama
    6 years ago

So sorry Bob, but glad you took care of the nest. I am allergic to their stings & carry an Epi Pen. I am terrified of them.

• chisue
    6 years ago

Caroline -- How can I ever thank you for the close-up of the wasp?!?

• caroline94535
    6 years ago

My pleasure, dear! Would you like another, "suitable for framing"?

6 years ago

@rob333

You mean there's no reason to have someone pee on a jellyfish sting?!? ;)

Re: meat tenderizing

pineapple juice contains enzymes ideal for meat tenderizing purposes, also works if you happen to be a cannibal and need to tenderize that kind of meat. ;)

• share_oh
    6 years ago

I came across a nest in the ground last week... thankfully before my husband was planning to mow the next day! He sprayed some sort of wasp/hornet killer it in that night but we still had some flying around the next day. I believe he went to the store and got Spectricide. So far so good!

Thanks for the tip about aloe... I do have an aloe plant handy.

6 years ago

Great, so not only are yellow jackets giant nest building sharps with painful stings and equipped with targeting systems but require special measures to kill (I still say flame thrower is best).

• bob_cville
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I checked the nest location both this morning and again this evening, and saw zero yellowjackets. They have been smote by my wrath. Foaming death from above!

6 years ago

Yeah but now I'll be worrying about these things suddenly flying at me out of the ground for the rest of my life!

I guess it's better than worrying about scary clowns telling me 'they all float down here' from the street drains though. ;)

• trickyputt
    6 years ago

I got stung by a brown scorpion and it did not hurt as much or as long as a yellow jacket sting.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Good to know about papain.

Re cannibals, two cannibals were having dinner. One looks at the other and says, "I really don't like your mother-in-law." The other replies, "Ok, then just eat the rice."

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

I have a friend who mowed over a nest about a month ago , with predictable results. It just so happened, though, that she was close to their swimming pool. She jumped in and stayed there for a bit, till the yellow jackets seemed to forget about her. She did get stung several times, including on her face and neck.

• OklaMoni
    6 years ago

Bob, you just have to tell us about all those home remedies you tried. For me, the onion slice did wonders, but it had to be refreshed often (daily) till the swelling was down. I sure smelled....

Moni

• bob_cville
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just yesterday one of our horses started running around her pasture like crazy. When my wife caught her and brought her in, she had welts or or bumps or hives all over her back and withers. We suspect that the horse might have been stung which would likely mean that there is another nest of the hateful little buggers in that pasture. I spent some time looking for a nest, but given that usually you don't find a nest, the nest finds you, I'm sort of glad I didn't find one.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

poor baby! Give that horse an extra pat from me.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I got stung about 10 times by yellowjackets that were underneath a railroad tie type of driveway border. I walked too close to it and up they came. I ran running into the house and jumped in the shower to get them off of me. There were about 12 dead on the shower floor when I was done. After seeing my Dr., I called an exterminator. He told me that there are two openings to each nest. Entrance and exit and they both must be treated. They were gone overnight and it wasn't really expensive at all. I did feel ill from it, but improved the next day.

• H B
    6 years ago

I don't know if this info helps anyone, but people can develop allergies at any time. So, for instance, my Dad was not allergic to bees (worked outdoors all his life, stung pretty regularly) ...until one day he was. He nearly died from the immediate anaphylactic reaction and luckily the FD and EMTs arrived just in time. Long story short, he decided to pursue allergy shots, and it took a couple of years of getting them (and they give three different kinds, bee, hornet and wasp), but now, while he still carries an epipen in his pocket, he has been stung and his system was able to handle the sting. Good luck to everyone, please get an epipen if you might need one!

• aok27502
    6 years ago

I cut grass for an elderly friend of the family. Last time I was there, i unearthed a nest but saw it in time. I wanted DH to dispatch it, but he never got there. Today I was there, and there was no activity around the hole. So I found a suitable rock and blocked the hole. Wowza, were they mad!! The ones that had already been out and came back, found the barn door shut. There were a dozen or so buzzing around, so I bailed.

How do you find the other entrance/exit hole? I've only ever seen them at one spot.

6 years ago

I would advise against the gopher method (water hose turned on and stuck down one of the holes) for obvious reasons. :p

• aok27502
    6 years ago

Darn, and that was my next step. :P

6 years ago

Yellow jackets, bees, hornets and wasps are much harder to thwack with a hoe once they start coming out the other end of their nest. :p

• DawnInCal
    6 years ago

We had a nest of the little suckers in the kitchen wall earlier this summer. I couldn't figure out why I kept finding wasps in the kitchen but chalked it up to them coming in through open doors. One morning I was outside watering plants and saw one crawl into the pipe that functions as a drain for the water heater that is under one of the kitchen cabinets.

My husband blocked the opening with some wire mesh and they managed to chew through it so he then capped the pipe. They finally stopped getting into the kitchen, so I guess the nest eventually died. The area where the water heater is blocked by an access wall, but they must have been small enough to squeeze through the area where the wall met the inside of the cabinet.

Once we found the nest, we had an explanation of why there were so many wasps hanging around the deck and why they seemed more aggressive than usual. It also explained the sting hubby received between his toes when all he was doing was standing out on the deck minding his own business.

Hope the horse is feeling better, Bob. A few years ago, one of our dogs got into a nest and was stung several times. They would not let go and I was trying to brush them off of her when she got away from me. She ran all the way to the neighbor's house, which is over half a mile away, before she stopped running.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

The hornet's nest in the exterior wall will die on it's own when the weather gets cold. It is safe to remove ( or not ) they do not re-use old nests.

• irma
    6 years ago

Poor horse. This is a dumb question but what does one do for a horse that has been stung? I know some animals are allergic just like people. Are you putting something on the areas affected (welts and bumps) and do they get Benadryl or something?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!