SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salex

Lighting plan - great electrician, not-so-great can light placement

salex
6 years ago

Hello GW. Demo starts Friday and I could use some feedback on lighting.

The floorplan for the new kitchen is shown below. We want no more than 3 three-way switches (located just inside the
doors on the left and right), all with dimmers. Ceilings are 8'9".

We're planning the following 3 light sources:

• Undercabinet LED strips on left wall (45" run of uppers), upper right to right wall (~10' of uppers around the corner, including a sink on right right), and in pantry on bottom wall.

• Can lights -- Our electrician has recommended 4 can lights evenly spaced throughout
    the kitchen, with the 2 cans near the top wall about 3' from the wall. I
    disagree with this recommendation because I think 3' is too far from
    the wall for countertop illumination, and because I'm not sure 4 cans is
    sufficient for spots without UC lighting. Fortunately, he is great to
    work
    with, and I have respectfully disagreed with him in the past with good
    outcomes. And I do respect his expertise.

• A central ceiling light over the moveable table (something simple like a schoolhouse pendant on a short rod).

Here are my specific uncertainties:

(1) Will we have enough light on the countertops where there are no uppers (and thus no UCLs)? I'm concerned about sufficient light in the 2 prep spaces on the top wall, which are in front of the 2 windows. We could put can lights about 12" from each window over these spaces - or alternatively, put a 100-watt semi-flush fixture at each spot (e.g., a semi-flush schoolhouse light to match a center-mounted schoolhouse light on a pendant rod).

(2) Will undercabinet lights be sufficient for the sink on the right? The uppers will be ~24" above the countertops there and will have UC lights.

(3) Will either cans alone - or UC lights alone - provide sufficient work light for the counterspace on the bottom wall (the pantry to the right of the fridge, which will have a countertop with stand mixer, microwave, etc.)? Similarly, I assume we need a can in front of the narrow cabinet to the left of the fridge???

If we do not have sufficient light in some places, I'm willing to add cans and/or semi-flush schoolhouse-type fixtures.

If you read this far, thank you! I welcome any and all feedback.

Comments (8)