SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_weidman

What Varieties Have Been Disappointments This Year?

OK ,,,,, I saw a similar topic on another site and I think it's a good topic. In 2017, what varieties were you looking forward to trying and ended up not liking?

I'll start it by saying that it was a tough year for taste in our 6A garden due to unseasonably cool temperatures and untimely rain deluges during the core time of the summer. Aside from a few early Cherokee Purples, Purple Dog Creeks, Jaune Flammes, Sungolds and Virginia Sweets .... everything else was blah.

We didn't have any spitters but I guess my biggest disappointment was Brandy Boy. We had 3 beautiful plants and they produced lots of large fruits that had zero flavor. We were expecting a pow of flavor. Lot's of hype for this variety on all the forums. Maybe it's not fair. We should try it again next year.

I would also say that we really didn't care for Afternoon Delight ..... It's just plain ugly.

Black Yum Yum split like crazy and we couldn't see any difference from Black Prince. They look the same to me.

We were also disappointed with an "Awesome Purple Heart" F2 experiment that went completely wrong and didn't grow out as a heart.

Comments (24)