SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmpsd

White Macaubas quartzite stain removal success story

dmpsd
6 years ago

I thought I would share this story in case it helps anyone else . . .

We chose a white macaubas quartzite for our counters. (We did all the tests per Karen and verified it was quartzite.) Countertops were installed but not sealed (long story). We went on vacation. Contractor knew the countertops weren't sealed, but came over one day to hang pendants and crown molding. We returned from vacation to find 4 spots on the island.

The spots weren't huge or terrible, but definitely noticeable. Even my husband noticed them. I couldn't figure out what could have done this until I studied the pictures the contractor sent of the pendants and saw the bottle of pneumatic oil for the air gun sitting on the unprotected island. :-(

Because I already had it on hand, I started using a poultice sold by Arizona Tile to try and get the spot out. After 6 or 7 applications, I had made some progress, but not enough. The contractor, once shown the picture of the oil on the table, offered to replace the countertop if we couldn't get the stain out. That seemed like overkill given the spots so I was determined to get them out.

I switched to a poultice of acetone and baking soda. It was like magic. After 2 or 3 applications, the stains were totally gone. Not gone like I knew where they were but most people wouldn't notice them -- actually not there anymore. I am glad I didn't give up too early.

We have since sealed the countertops. We started with Miracle 511, but since some portions of the countertops were still absorbing water left over night, we finished with Porous Plus. We haven't had any issue with the countertops since then. :-)

Comments (14)