SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saratera

Quartzite and granite and sealers, oh my!

saratera
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

The domino effect in remodeling has led to replacing our not very old granite countertops. It's a long story. The look I would really love is white marble with gray veining, like Carrera. However in a home with three boys, two non-OCD parents and many guests, I don't believe marble is a wise choice, even Vermont Danby which can be scrubbed with comet and a Scotch Brite pad, according to their website. The staining, etching and chipping are too likely in a home such as mine.

I've read all 6 "Geology" threads with resident geologist karin_mt's expert advice along with that of others like srosen and oldryder. Thus I am looking at White Macaubas quartzite and am following Karin's suggestions for testing to make sure it's truly quartzite rather than marble. (A rose by any other name is still a rose...) None of the yards I've visited will give samples due to fears of breaking the slab, so I have thus far only done the glass cutting test, not the etching test.

We have painted cabinets in Benjamin Moore "Simply White," so they are bright white. Today my decorator suggested black honed granite or a dark Quartz for the perimeter to set off the White Macaubas island since the White Macaubas is not as "white white" as a white marble. Now I'm reading that black honed granite shows all sorts of water marks and fingerprints and such. Some say it should be sealed, others don't. Many love their x brand of Quartz; others say it has stained, etc. despite claims that it is bulletproof. Argh! This has become eversomuch more complicated than I ever expected!!!

Advice or wisdom to share from those who love these products or hate them?

Comments (7)