SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Unpruned hydrangeas won't bloom

I have some hydrangeas that were here before me and will not bloom, and it's been about four years. We are in a coastal climate, technically 6b but everybody plans for 5.

The hydrangeas die to the ground every year, but that doesn't mean they are supposed to. During a harsh winter it is not unusual to have old-wood hydrangeas die back and then skip a year of bloom. They have been in a bed that needed attention when I got here, and I haven't been able to give them any until now. I believe at one time, a long time ago, the bed was cared for and planted well. But, now just assume the soil is tired and needs compost/fertilizer. I have proof from other plants that the soil is tired. I haven't mulched it before this winter. Also, until this year it had more shade. We've had to do extensive removal of damaged trees, which opened up the sun this summer. BUT, it was never in full or deep shade. That bed always got a little direct sun and good dappled shade. I couldn't grow tomatoes in it, but lots of other perennials that bloom in full sun/part shade are happy. It should have had more than enough sun for a hydrangea.

I need to determine if I have macrophylla or arborens, and then figure out why they aren't blooming since they aren't pruned.

Here are some pictures. The first is two leaf forms from two of the bushes. The left pair is from one bush and the right pair is from another. The others are of bushes. Then you'll see a pic of some that have lots of old dead growth in the middle. I'm planning on pruning that out right down to the crown. The last is of a PG hydrangea that is blooming right now so you have an idea of our bloom time.

Thank you!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022